Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer is totally and completely messed up

• Please log in to reply

famebyframe

famebyframe

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright first things first something has shut off system restore, reg edit, ms config, and the task manager so that i cant access them and i cant reenable them. secondly my internet seems to be getting slower, for some reason install shield wizard freezes when it begins to read the contents. and a lot of the time when i try to click on links in msn messenger the entire program crashes. that and when i try to open browse windows (like browsing for files and folders). and when it does work it freezes when i tell it to go to desktop. or try to use the dropdown menu. i also need to get rid of norton, wich for some reason wont leave my system completely, and also panda platinum antivirus 2006 (i tried to install panda and because of the installshield thing it didnt work and now i cant try again because it has all of the vital components already installed).

basically i'm willing to do everything short of reformatting (because i dont have the CD for windows XP)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello famebyframe...Welcome to G2G1!

To use your phrase, first things first. What kind of machine do you have? Is it a branded machine such as HP or dell...or is it a "build"?

Do you know anyone you can borrow a retail version installation cd from? Most of the procedures you'll need to run will require, comparing, repairing, or replacing system files.

wannabe1

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i could probably make an educated guess but it wasnt me that bought the computer so do you know where i could find all that info?

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
well as for the machine it is branded but by a company you probably havent heard of XP on my tower there is the logo reading ACER and above that it says ASPIRE if thats any help and i am positive that it isnt a build.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
famebyframe...

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it using the "Report" icon, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread using the "Browse" and "Add This Attachment" buttons below the reply box.

That will give me the information I need to get started.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...it's an Acer...no problem. What model, do you know? It should be a number like 1300XC or 1601LC, or something similar.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 17 November 2005 - 11:01 PM.

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I downloaded the program but infortunately im outta time for today its like 12:17 and i gotta go to bed, i have school tomorrow, but i'll be able to continue tomorrow if thats alright?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
famebyframe...

Not a problem...I'm here everyday.

wannabe1

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
alright i'll be on tomorrow then, thanks for your time :tazz:

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ive run the Everest scan and attatched the results

Attached Files

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
famebyframe...

Do you have any important data on your machine that you want to save?

wannabe1

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah but ive got a ton of blank cd's that i could save things on so dont worry other than that ive got a few programs that i no longer have the cd's for but its no big deal

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

I asked that because I think I found a recovery option for your machine, but it will not preserve your data.

Let's try a few things first...

What version of Norton do you have on the machine? We'll need to know that to remove it.

Also, please download HiJackThis from the link in my signature, but don't install it yet. Do the same with the Avast and Sygate Firewall (links for these are also in my sig)...if we're going to strip away your protection, we'll need to get something back on there pronto.

wannabe1

famebyframe

famebyframe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
alright but ive got 56k as youve probably read in the everest report so i'll be back with the programs in a little bit

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
famebyframe...

None of them are overly large so they won't take too awfully long...that's why I like them.

I'll be around here somewhere.... :tazz:

wannabe1