Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp won't boot NO MATTER WHAT!

• Please log in to reply

biggerdave

biggerdave

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok first time here but first time to have a problem this severe.

I cannot boot. I have XP Pro, Intel Celeron Proc, soyo p4vtp motherboard, 3 HDD's a various sizes, 2 G 184-pin DDR RAM...

I previously had 1 G RAM in the form of 2-512 sticks I added 1-1G stick and cannot boot. It doesn't matter if I pull the memory out, reconfigure the machine with ut the basic parts necessary to boot, i still get the same messages.

Currently: the machine hangs at \windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys if I try to boot in safe mode.
-last known good and start win normally both just hang with no indication of errors
-when I attempt to boot from my XP CD I get the message 'the entry "ntkrnlmp.exe" in the [SourceDisksFiles] section of the INF file is corrupt or missing. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.'

the Original error was a blue screen of death with a stop: 0xA IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL MESSAGE
a couple of time I got the message "lsass.exe cannot be found" or "windows\system32\config\system is corrupt. run repair console." however I never have been able to get near repair console.

Soyo's web site and centon both said the specific memory was compatible with the specific motherboard. (The new 1G and one of the old 512K sticks are Centon, he other old 512K is Crucial.)

Naturally being the organized person I am, I cannot locate any XP boot disks created when I loaded it, and my previous backup was prior to the upgrade. :tazz: I can boot from my norton cd but that is a win 98 shell and cannot access my NTFS disks. My norton was updated as of 3 days before the crash occured and my windows was set to automatically upgrade on the default schedule.

ANY help anyone could give on this would be greatly appreciated. Today is day #5 since this first occured.

Edited by biggerdave, 18 November 2005 - 12:31 AM.

Advertisements

Too40shorty

Too40shorty

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey Dave and Welcome to G2G!

I'll try and help a bit with the boot disk problem.

If you follow the link, you'll be directed to Microsoft's boot disks. Once there, you can select the boot disk you need. They are 6 disk sets and it always works best for me when you use 6 new or newly formatted disks.

Hopefully this will help booting your system up so we can try other troubleshooting.

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
been there, done that

unfortunately that gave the same error as booting from the CD

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi biggerdave...

Can you boot to Safe Mode with command prompt?

wannabe1

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
nope

safe mode w/ command prompt gives me the "windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing. " then it tells me to run repair console from the cd, BUT... If i boot from the cd I get another error message (see first post)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This one may prove to be a bit tough. Is your install disk a retail or OEM, full or upgrade?

When your machine goes to the boot sequence, does it go through POST to the beep tone and is it a single "beep"?

If we can get you to a command prompt we can probably sort this out.

wannabe1

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it is a retail upgrade. I have cd's for prev. versions but it never gets that far. It appears to get through the POST however i never get a beep. this time however attempting to boot Safe w/ c prompt got to windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys before hanging. It apparently loaded the prev. mentioned system file this time as thaT one is earlier in the list of drivers processed.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The "No Beep" part is raising some flags. Also, the 0xA error indicates a driver issue...possibly a video driver. Try removing all the RAM and put one stick of the old 512 in slot 1 and try to boot...see if you get to the beep tone.

wannabe1

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
my bad... I get the beep tone if I plug in the speakers...I'm not pllugging in too many things now as I keep pulling them off to reconfigure...

Still hung at the mup.sys driver...not sure what mup.sys pertqains to but it comes up by far the most often.

***edit one origianl post pertains to brands of memory. I correted what I had listed as one brand. I don't think it should matter but just to be safe I corrected it.

Edited by biggerdave, 18 November 2005 - 12:33 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's check something real quick.

Go into BIOS setup and make sure that the BIOS level Anti Virus utility is disabled. You might also reset BIOS to the default settings while you are there.

Give that a shot and let me know what you find...

wannabe1

Advertisements

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it is disabled. i loaded "failsafe defaults" also. still hangs at mup.sys

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your mouse and keyboard USB or PS2? In researching this issue, you wouldn't believe all the various things that have caused this particular hang.

wannabe1

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
both are ps2 (small round plug with several pins in half moon pattern) definitely NOT USB

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
biggerdave...

It just keeps coming back to RAM.... :tazz:

Have you tried my suggestion to boot with just one stick of the old RAM...try one stick and try it in each slot. There just doesn't seem to be any 1 fix for this, but the most common remedy was the RAM. Humor me and give it a try.

Just for kicks and grins, google mup.sys

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 November 2005 - 01:15 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
biggerdave...

I've got to call it a night, but I'm going to ask some other techs to look in on this one with us. It may be tomorrow morning before we get any replies, but I think a few more opinions are in order.

Let me know if you have any luck by changing the RAM around. You might also flash the BIOS...you can do that by simply removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard when you take a break...leave it out for a while or even overnight...that will completely reset the BIOS.

wannabe1