Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp won't boot NO MATTER WHAT!

• Please log in to reply

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the only slot I havent put just one stick of "old" ram in is the center one (of 3) I'll give that a shot. I did google mup.sys and got tons of info. it seems everyone found a different cause.

no change on that ram in center slot

gotta get some sleep. will pick this up tomorrow evening (central time kone - oklahoma)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, I have had the mups.sys problem on two of my systems (mine and my daughters).. One running XP Pro SP2 and one running XP Home SP2..

In both cases my only option ended up being a complete re-install..

Murray

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
tried i old stick in the center slot. No change. the other two slots were no change also. I've not been able to pull cards or change the configuration in any way that caused even a slight change in anything. I'm going to reset the BIOS as soon as i can get to the machine to do so.

if i could get it to boot to the CD at all I would. Ive got a 10 GB that had nothing on it so nothing to lose but it errors out on the boot cd even with the original HDD in question removed from the system. If I do get it to load I may leave that disk just for recovering from just such an error in the future. HDD's are cheap compared to the headache i've had for the past week.

Edited by biggerdave, 18 November 2005 - 10:29 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Dave, I too would be curious about the RAM, but the switching of sticks around seems to rule it out (I've had TERRRIBLE luck with Centon ram---I have used about 10-12 sticks in the past and the failure rate was 50 percent--that is remarkable).

Even when using the recovery console, you are accessing the registry, so my guess is that---plus several of the errors you have point to a registry corruption.

The solution is....not pretty.

Take a read here:

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q307545

Even with that solution, my success rate with recovering these machines is about 50 percent and I often will rebuilt a machine rather than waste time on it -- the only time I would consider it personally is to recover a program that cannot be replaced/reinstalled.

Since you have spent to so much time on this, is there a reason you do not want to reinstall?

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i have been negligent in backing up. I have about 1 year's worth of pictures that I hadn't burned to CD yet, and I also havent had ime to reconfigure the computer to take that HDD out while I reinstall on another.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is what I would do.

Download BartsPE and make a PE Disk
http://65.24.134.81/...rom/BartsPE.htm

Boot with BartsPE in your PC and boot into the PE Environment.

Use the A43 File Management utility to rename C:\WINDOWS, C:\PROGRAM FILES, and c:\Documents and Settings

Shut down

Remove BARTPE, insert WINDOWS XP CD (MUST BE WINDOWS XP CD, no SYSTEM RESTORE DISK).

Boot your computer and reinstall Windows XP

Recover Data files from Renamed folders

Wait a month, then delete those renamed folders (to make sure you got everything).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
biggerdave...

In addition to gerryf's suggestion, you might also consider formatting your "vacant" HDD, installing the Operating System on it, setting the current drive to slave, and recovering your data from it by taking ownership of the files through use of the Security tab. You could then format the slave and use it for data storage and backups.

wannabe1

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
"vacant" hdd is currently being loaded. we'll see what happens...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ooh, like that idea...good one wannabee!

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:woot: STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005,0xF74274CE,0xF6FF27F0,0x00000000)

setupdd.sys - address F74274CE base at F73EC000, Datestamp 41107c8f

:) :P :woot: :) :woot: :P :P :tazz:

Advertisements

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
this might implicate the memory, but why won't it work without it???

:) :) :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
biggerdave...

During setup, and while the error message appears on the screen, press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt, type cd\windows\system32\, and then press ENTER .
Type rename catroot2 catold, press ENTER, and then restart the computer. Try to finish the installation again.

As a side note...this is still looking like a RAM problem to me....

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 18 November 2005 - 10:44 PM.

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
had already restarted the setup minus the new memory... hasn't gotten to where it errored before but hasen't errored yet.

EDIT: So far so good...I got an XP splash screen. something I haven't seen for a week now.

no matter what hwppens here I'm gonna go swap the 1 G stick with a better brand tomorrow.

woohoo it's installing!!!!!!!!! We'll let it load tonite and finish tomorrow. I'm shot from bein up so late the last few...

Hey thanks for all the brain power... I'll be back untl this is resolved but thanks for the assistance so far

-Dave

Edited by biggerdave, 18 November 2005 - 11:06 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome...and the fingers are all crossed for success... :tazz:

Let us know how it turns out...

wannabe1

biggerdave

biggerdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well I'm in on the vacant drive. I'm going to use your backup on the other drive suggestion wannabe1. Still reconfiguring and reloading SW but that will take a while. I down loaded a memory check program that boots from the floppy and runs. Turns out none of the three memory modules have any errors (I checked each stick by itself so I could be sure which one was causing error). I got no errors on any module as long as they were inserted in DIMM1 or DIMM2, DIMM3, however, errored out EVERY time with ANY memory stick I put in there. That to me says that the motherboard is the problem and not just the memory. I also found that the outlet that my machine was plugged into had an open ground. I recently had to move the computer and naturally where we put it was the ONLY outlet that I hadn't rewired when we bought the house because it already had three prong outlets, unfortunately I never checked it either. That has been repaired now also, took care of that while I had the machine all apart and out from the wall.

Thanks for all you're help. I'll definietle be backing up as soon as I get this configured.

Oh yeah one more question...I've got some encrypted files on the other drive I cannot get into and one folder that was listed as private which I also cannot get into. I know I've got to take ownership but for the life of me I can't remember how. This is a standalone machine, no domain. Thanks