Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bizzare XP boot freeze

• Please log in to reply

lost_boy

lost_boy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:

My friend raves about the assistance he has recieved from this site so here comes a first time poster with a truly perplexing and aggravating problem.

I've got a 3 year old installation of Win XP Pro on a 40GB partition of a 80GB W-D hard drive. I was experiencing these weird boot freezes for awhile but was always able to overcome them with either a system restore option or fresh video driver install. No such luck this time. I can get into safe mode with no problem but try as I may, the system hangs at the boot screen with those fruity blue bars just going and going and going every time I try to boot up in the regular OS. I have disabled ALL drivers in msconfig, I have tried "last option that worked", I have removed potentially offensive progs, I have removed all ATI software and reinstalled the latest video drivers, I have attempted multiple system restore options from previous dates and I have run the chkdsk option. Nada, zippo. I've pretty much ruled out a hardware problem cause the machine boots fine in safe mode and runs OK that way. I've even burned multiple DVD backups in preparation for a potential fresh OS install which I'm avoiding like the plague for obvious reasons.

My system specs are: Abit IT-7 Max 2 ver. 2 (D6 bios), 3.06GHz P4, 1GB PC3700 Corsair memory, 80GB W-D hard drive, 2x80GB Maxtors in a RAID 0 array, Radeon 9800 Pro video, NEC 3520 DVD burner, Kenwood 72X CD reader all powered ny a Thermaltake 420W power supply. I have SP2 and all other MS updates installed up to about a week ago when the machine was running like a champ and churning out great frame rates with Quake 4.

This computer has seen alot of action since I first built it and some may suggest to just go ahead with a XP repair or perhaps even a fresh install. This is something I would love to avoid at this time since a five month old son has me busy enough! I have always kept things as clean as possible with Ad-aware, Spybot S & D and e-trust antivirus so I'm not infected. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello lost_boy...Welcome to G2G!

Pretty slick system you've got there.... :tazz:

Have you tried running System File Checker and then chkdsk /r ? The Repair procedure is also a good option, although you'll have to install all the updates again after running it.

wannabe1

lost_boy

lost_boy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply wannabe1,
ummm, what's the difference between "system file checker" and "chkdsk"?
I checked the drive for errors but came up with nothing unusual.
A OS repair task seems inevitable at this point unless someone else has a better idea here.
Oh, the aggg, reloading RAID drivers (which will probably make me lose all current progs on that array),
MS updates from scratch, reconfiguring my wireless protocols, and on and on.
Has anyone had experience with this type of OS mis-behavior?
What stumps me is how the thing goes into safe mode with no problem.
:tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the behavior you describe is usually attributed to a faulty driver.

It occurs in normal mode, but not in safe mode, because in safe mode you are not loading all the drivers.

system file checker will search your PC for corrupt windows files and replace any files corrupted or missing files it expects.

chkdsk repairs the file system and disk errors.

I would download the latest drivers of the video, audio, chipset

Then I would remove all sound, chipset and video drivers from add/remove in control panel (ati, realmedia, and intel chipset), then drop into safe mode and run drivercleaner pro

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

run it, clean all drivers (ati, realmedia, and intel chipset).

Reboot in normal mode. It should load

Cancel any found new hardware wizard. Run driver installs.