Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows media player popup!

• Please log in to reply

omegaman66

omegaman66

• Pip
  • 3 posts
run google ads on my website. I am the publisher. The ads are rotated using javascript. The code goes on each page and one of the ads in the rotation displays with each page load.

I have been running google ads on my main website and just recently added them to my message board. About a month later I started having trouble with window media player opening with some elephant video clip and the box to click to download the entire video clip. The message mentioned zango or zanga can't remember now. I think you would get a virus/spyware if you clicked to download. ptf_0002.exe I think was the executable.

Well I at first figured I had some spyware stuff on my computer. Then I noticed it was only on my message board. Then others on the board said they were getting the wm player poping up. So I agian took a closer look at my website and could find no code that might have been maliciously placed. Started paying closer attention. Noticed it only occured when a google ad was displayed. A 1 in 9 chance although the ad displayed varied so it wasn't popping up every time a google ad showed up. So less than 1 in 9 chance.

I was baffled. I have pulled the google ads from the banner rotation and have not gotten the popup since! Mentioned this to my wife and she said she THINKS that she has heard of google ads doing the same thing somewhere on the internet. So I did some searches and came up with nothing.

Has anyone heard of this?

Advertisements

omegaman66

omegaman66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here is a picture of the popup. What causes this?

Posted Image