Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Booting Win 95 PC with external cdrom

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Got an elderly HP Vectra VE running Win 95 with an external cdrom connected to the parallel port.

My problem is that it will not boot and states that "no valid CDROM device drivers selected"

This is after I downloaded a win95 bootdisk from bootdisk.com - the original bootdisk for this machine having been lost ages ago.

I would like to reformat the c drive and reload win 95. I have the Microsolutions Backpack model 166550 CDROM driver disk. This disk contains 2 files - PNP305a.exe and scanundo.dat.

I have a rudimentary knowledge of DOS commands but not sure how to proceed in order to get this beast breathing again - could anyone help pse?

Thanks - Patrick
St Andrews Scotland

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hello Patrick,

When you first startup the pc while the POST screen is on press "del", or "F1", or maybe "F2". You are trying to enter BIOS. If successful you will be at a blue screen with white lettering. Now search for a section called "Boot", or "Boot Configuration", maybe "Boot Order". See if a cdrom shows up in the list. If so then move it to the top of the list to the #1 spot. To do this you may have to press "+" or "-", maybe "pgup" or "pgdn". There should be on screen instructions somewhere on each screen for each option. Everyl Bios version is different. Now after doing that, go to "Exit", and make sure to "Save Changes and Exit" the computer will reboot. If you have the Win95 disk in already you should be able to boot from the disk into setup.... Or maybe with Win95 you had to run the disk from Dos... It's been a long time, I forget. If you cannot boot from the disk just try changing to the cdrom drive in dos and run the "Setup.exe" or something along those lines to install windows.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You need to use a Windows 98 boot-floppy to have access to cd-rom drives.
The Win95 boot-floppy doesn't give cd-rom access without adding to it the drivers supplied with the cd-rom device. Win 98 boot-floppy uses generic drivers which should work with all cd-rom drives. Don't get confused, I know you want to install win95 but you can stll boot into DOS with a Win98 floppy for this purpose. Have never used an external cd-rom drive however, so I cannot be 100% sure it will work with one of those. Just download the 98 OEM floppy boot disk and try it. A menu will ask if you want to start pc with cd-rom support, and that's the option you should execute. Oh, and I don't think a 95 CD is bootable anyway, so a 98 floppy is probably your only option for installing it. Don't mess with the BIOS setup till you've tried the floppy/DOS method.