Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCMCIA to PCI Adaptor

• Please log in to reply

Dallasjmoore

Dallasjmoore

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I need to use the verizon wireless PCMCIA card on a desktop (running XP-Pro). I live out of range for any kind of Cable or DSL lines, but I am within range of Verizon's wireless broadband service. I installed a PCMCIA to PCI controller card on my desktop:

- I installed the PCMCIA to PCI controller card. (brand new)
- Checked the Device Manager (said device is working properly)
- I Installed the Verizon- VZAccess Manager Software
- I Installed the Verizon PCMCIA Card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue:
When I run the VZAccess Manager it starts like an installation wizard, Then it gets to a part that says to install the card. Well, I installed the card, the green light comes on on the PCMCIA to PCI Controller card, but the VZAccess Manager will not recognize that the card is installed, and the next button (to continue with the set-up) on the wizard remains "grayed out."

What I've tried:
1st.
- I have taken the card out
- rebooted
- ran the VZ Access Manager, waited until the wizard asked to install the card
- installed the card
---------- and it still does not recognize it.

2nd
- I have installed the PCMCIA to PCI controller card into a different PCI slot
---------- and got the same result.

3rd
- I have installed the PCMCIA to PCI controller card on another old Compaq system also running XP Pro.
- installed the card
- ran the VZ Access Manager
---------- and got he same result, the VZAccess manager didn't read the card.

4th
- I have inserted another type II card for wireless networking
---------- and the system still would not read the card.

The card works great on my laptop (with XP Pro) but I can't get it to be recognized on my desktops. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Dallasjmoore

Dallasjmoore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OK, I have installed it on my new Dell XPS system with XP Pro and this is the message that came up:

The device Ricoh (PCMCIA to PCI adapter) or compatable cardbus controller has detected a cardbus in the slot, but the firmware on the system is not configured to allow the cardbus controller to run in cardbus mode. What does this mean and how can I fix it?