Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Networking Problem

• Please log in to reply

Michael Jones

Michael Jones

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Wondering if anyone out there has ever run into this before.

I am attempting to establish an ad hoc network between my desktop computer and a laptop. I have succeeded in connecting the two and sharing an internet connection (ADSL, connected to the desktop), with one oddity – after a period of inactivity on the network, the two computers lose their connection and are unable to reconnect until the desktop computer is re-started. The desktop computer is running Windows XP, and has its power settings to “Always On”, and is not going to sleep, parking the HDD, or even engaging a screen saver – it simply blanks the screen after five minutes of inactivity. The network will continue to function for some time after this – perhaps up to 45 minutes – before it inexplicably drops out and cannot be restarted until the desktop computer is restarted. As soon as the desktop computer is restarted, they can connect again.

I’m afraid I do not know the model number of the PCI card as we have recently moved house and I have not found it’s original packaging as yet. The laptop has a Belkin PCMCIA 802.11b/g card whose part number is F5D7010. I suspect, from what I can see on the Belkin site, that the PCI card is the F5D7000, but I’m note sure whether it is version 1, 2, or 3.

Is this a common problem? It almost seems that there is some kind of time-out or power-saving measure that is being applied to the desktop PCI wireless card, but as I said, the computer’s power management is set to “Always On”, and on the advanced settings for the card itself, I have set it’s power management property to CAM (Constantly Awake Mode).

Anyone run into this before, or have any suggestions as to how I can keep the network alive?

Regards,

Michael

PS: Interestingly, disabling and the enabling the card on the desktop under Hardware Profile also fixes the problem instantly.

Edited by Michael Jones, 18 November 2005 - 06:29 AM.

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Michael Jones, Welcome to G2G

One of the first things you're going to want to check is the power settings on the laptop. Some laptops "kill" the network connection when they go into hibernation. Check the IP that the computer has before and after the hibernation to make sure that it's the same. Try assigning a static IP if you are using DHCP.

Let me know how you make out.