Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM Think Pad

• Please log in to reply

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Does any one have experience with the IBM think pad? Everytime I turn on the computer after it has been off for a while I get a message error with the numbers 173, and 192. On the 173 error it has me go in and fix the time and date of the machine. On the 192 error I have to test the system and when its done it says there is a device error. Once the testing is done I can reboot the computer without any problems. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the error about reseting the time suggests that the laptop's cmos battery may be dying...i however am not sure on how to change this battery on this laptop.

the second error.....does it tell you what device is erroring?

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
The computer doesnt have a battery. I use the AC power adapter thta attaches to the back of the computer. An at the time Im not by the laptop so Im not able to tell which device errors. I can provide that for you later.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not the battery battery...there is a CMOS battery on the motherboard..looks like a watch battery..this is to ensure that the BIOS information get's stored...even when you lose power.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Oh okay. I just looked at how to replace it and possible ways to fix it without replacement. Thanks. I will provide the device error number for you later.

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hey sorry it took so long but here is the device error in the exact way I see it on the computer:

Systemboard

DEV 001
ERR 96
FRU 3810