Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop not coming out of standby?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,
Anyone know of a likely reason why my laptop often fails to come out of standby? A few weeks ago it wouldn't enter standby, now it won't wake up! I can't see a commonality to when it won't come back. Seems to be random and not obviously dependant on how long it's been asleep, or what programs are running. Nor does closing it or leaving it open seem to affect whether it wakes up. I turned hibernation off but no change.
The cpu seems to wake up most of the time, or at least the fan does, and sometime the indicator light flashes but no screen.
Drew

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Standby support depends on your system hardware. There are a couple of different levels of "standby"

You distinguish between hibernate, so let's rule that out. The first level of standby implemented in Windows was s1, or CPU powerdown. A deeper level of standby involves your PC shutting down your CPU, harddrives, etc.

Sounds like s1 may be working, but not s3.

You did not mention you laptop make, but did you check your manual? In some laptops, coming out of s3 requires a quick press of the power button (whereas any key or mouse movement will awake a PC from s1).

Suggestions.

Next time, press the powerbutton to wake up the pc

Check your system BIOS. Is S3 supported? Try switching to s1 only.

See if there is a BIOS uipdate for your machine

Edited by gerryf, 18 November 2005 - 09:34 AM.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
gerryf,
Thanks for responding. I totally forgot to mention the make and model. It is a Dell Inspiron 8500. It is set to turn off the monitor and HD after 20 minutes and then standby 10 minutes after that. It does shut everything down best I can tell.
I do have to press the power button to bring it out of standby. So does that mean it is going into S3? It partially wakes up, at least the fan runs and the busy light flashes a little, but it seems to forget to tell the screen. When waking does it enter S1 on the way to fully awake, or are the two processes not connected? Does it pass through S1 then into S3 to sleep then reverse that to wake?

Some background: It was not entering standby after a mouse driver update a few weeks ago, so I unchecked the box that allowed the mouse to wake it and reinstalled the driver. Then turned hibernate off. That solved it, so I thought.

Is the BIOS setting you ask about in the set-up menus you reach by pressing F8 or F12 or whatever during boot-up?

Thanks,
Drew

Edited by delawaredrew, 18 November 2005 - 04:23 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
usally f1. f2 or DEL during memory count up

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi again,
Didn't see any settings in the BIOS pages that applied, but I will update it through Dell and let you know if anything changes.
It woke up fine just now. It isn't a big problem; I'm just tired of having to remove the battery and unplug it all the time to restart it. It can't be a good practice to cut wnindows off that way?
Drew

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, very bad in fact. When you shut off windows like that, there are handles to the registry open, which can lead to registry corruption, which can lead to not booting.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I see... I avoid that method when possible . But when it fails to wake up fully, the only option I know of is to cut its power. Is there another way? The cpu seems to wake, but no inputs work, and no screen at all.
Thanks,
Drew

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
did you check for a bios update? I don't know how old your PC is, but a lot of PCs were not completely s3 complient when first released