Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Difficult Start-Up/Start-Up Items

• Please log in to reply

kamhouse

kamhouse

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi there. You guys walked me through cleaning up a malware/spyware problem a bit ago and I now run a number of different spyware/antivirus scans on a regular basis. I don't think the problem I am currently having is related to that, but I wanted to give you the history.

My computer (Windows ME) is lately very sluggish to start-up and recognize anything. It either gets stuck at start-up and doesn't move beyond the initial Gateway screen (and so I have to physically shut down and restart), or it starts up and I get any number of "restore my active desktop" screens until I start and restart and restart again a couple of times, at which point it operates fine. It only ever behaves like this on start-up...once I start and stop and start and stop and start again a couple of times, it's fine.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the Norton Antivirus 2005 software that I've got running in the background (I find sometimes - - but not always - - that I have to completely shut this down to get Outlook Express to work). I am also always running Spysweeper in the background.

This leads me to another question. When I do a "run...msconfig" search to see what is checked and initiated at start-up, I see any number of Norton-related items. And also some other things that are checked that may or may not be necessary to run at start-up. Can you help me determine what is absolutely necessary to be checked as a start-up item (specifically for Norton, but also in general)? I would like to keep Spysweeper and Norton running all the time but am not sure which of those start-up items pertain.

Thanks in advance for your help.
kamhouse

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
you can open up norton and go through the configuration menus (sorry but i'm not sure which window it's going to be in)...and disable the start up scan....do the same with spysweeper...you don't really need a startup scan if you have a daily scheduled scan running.

kamhouse

kamhouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the help...I'll run through the Norton options. But I still have concerns you didn't address. I would like to leave Norton running all the time (I only have an automatic scan scheduled for once a week), which means it needs to start at start-up. Do you know which specific start up items need to be checked in order for it to operate smoothly? I would also like to leave Spysweeper running all the time but it is obviously less critical.

Also, do you have any idea why my computer is always so slow to get going? And why it takes three or four restarts for it to run smoothly, and why I might be getting so many "restore my active desktop" messages?

kamhouse

SpiritWind

SpiritWind

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:tazz: Curious about your "history" here, I read thru your HijackThis "thread"
& found you made some references to Ad-Aware, with which I am familiar.
Do you have Ad-Aware Se 1.06r1, their latest ? Was curious about Pre-Empt
& GhostSurf "components" of the Gateway Security Suite, so I read up on
them. Have you "activated" Spybot's "Immunize" feature & its "Teatimer" ?
Did you ever install SpywareBlaster from www.javacoolsoftware.com, since
this program prevents spyware from getting on a computer, rather than the
"usual" "detect & remove" programs.
Norton Antivirus programs are quite frequently recommended to be
uninstalled by those advising on forums such as this, and I concur.
This program is a "resource hog" and it is time consuming to get it
completely OFF one's computer, which steps I could give if interested !?
I use, after investigating primarily good & FREE antivirus programs,
Avast Home Edition available from www.avast.com. They have an
excellent description of the program PLUS an excellent help forum.
Avast's minimum system requiremants are : 486 Processor,
32 MB RAM & 50 MB Free HD Space.
And I could not determine from all I read on your threads if you
have a software firewall !?

kamhouse

kamhouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dear SpiritWind: thanks so much for responding to my query the other day. I have been sooooo busy that I haven't had any time to deal with my computer or answer your questions. But I will get there, I promise. I'm not ignoring you - - I really appreciate the help. Please keep checking back - - I should have a bunch of time to take a look at all of this this TG weekend.

kamhouse

------------------------------------------

:tazz: Curious about your "history" here, I read thru your HijackThis "thread"
& found you made some references to Ad-Aware, with which I am familiar.
Do you have Ad-Aware Se 1.06r1, their latest ? Was curious about Pre-Empt
& GhostSurf "components" of the Gateway Security Suite, so I read up on
them. Have you "activated" Spybot's "Immunize" feature & its "Teatimer" ?
Did you ever install SpywareBlaster from www.javacoolsoftware.com, since
this program prevents spyware from getting on a computer, rather than the
"usual" "detect & remove" programs.
Norton Antivirus programs are quite frequently recommended to be
uninstalled by those advising on forums such as this, and I concur.
This program is a "resource hog" and it is time consuming to get it
completely OFF one's computer, which steps I could give if interested !?
I use, after investigating primarily good & FREE antivirus programs,
Avast Home Edition available from www.avast.com. They have an
excellent description of the program PLUS an excellent help forum.
Avast's minimum system requiremants are : 486 Processor,
32 MB RAM & 50 MB Free HD Space.
And I could not determine from all I read on your threads if you
have a software firewall !?