Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer Capablities

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
How can I tell why my computer seems unable to handle games, music, and regular computer duties while it seems to meet the requirements? I am wanting to get my computer to be able to handle my gaming and music purposes without the slowdown it gets on the games and on the desktop also. I have the recommended spyware, antivirus, and firewall. When i am playing games I turn them all off, so that they do not hog resources.

Basically it is only used to play The Sims 2 and Hearts of Irons 2, and also to sometimes record music with. It handles the music no problem, but it slows up when playing the games. I have no idea about computers.

From what I can tell, these are my specs, I think.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.83 GHz
384 MB of RAM

I have no idea what kind of graphic card that I have.

Sorry if this is not the right area, it wasn't all about games so thats why I didn't place it in the games forum.

Thanks for any help that you can provide, I am a cluesless loon when it comes to computers.

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I can see right now that the memory is the problem and your video card might be another problem.

Download everest and post a report of your pc.

Edited by jrm20, 18 November 2005 - 10:00 AM.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
http://www.alexnolan...are/sysspec.htm run that and paste a log in to your next reply

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Here is what I got according to the system spec website.

It does look like I am a little tight on memory on C: drive. But then again I have no idea. I'm just going on the theory that the less free mem I have equals bad. :tazz:

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 1
Memory (RAM): 384 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+
CPU Speed: 1803.8 MHz
Sound card: SB Live! Audio [D000]
Display Adapters: C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON 9200SE | C.P. Technologies Inc. RADEON 9200SE | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: USB Cable Modem 351000 - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
Default Printer: Lexmark X1100 Series
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1 |
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 30.6GB | D: 7.6GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 18.5GB | D: 6.5GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 4 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Not detected
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: KM400-8235
Serial Number:
Power Status: High
BIOS Date: 01/16/04

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might try setting your screen resolution lower and see if that helps your gaming performance.