Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Movie Maker Importing Files

• Please log in to reply

Red Blanchard

Red Blanchard

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have had this with MM1 and now with MM2. Everything works except importing video files into 'collections.'
Then up comes "My Video" folder with all the thumbnails, and before I can even select any of them to import, Movie Makers shuts down! I have 1.5GB RAM, and a P4 @2.6 Ghz. Using an ATI 7900 Radeon card.
Appreciate any help.

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
works for me, your hardware is fine, have you had a virus in the past that stuffed everyting up? you might have one now, read other fourms about virus removal,

does it give an error message?

maybe reinstall? reformat? get different video editing software?

Here's the FAQ for WMM2"

http://www.microsoft.../faq.mspx#EEMAE

Red Blanchard

Red Blanchard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the answer. This is a new hard drive with a brand new legal Windows XP PRO. Since I wrote the original post, I have also bought and installed Adobe Premier 7.0 and, what do you know, the same thing happens! When I try to import a video, as soon as I look at My Videos folder, the thing shuts down just like Movie Maker! I am beginning to think the Video Card may be to blame, but I have the latest XP drivers.
I hope someone will be able to figure out what is happening.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Bizare, so you go File - Import. then you click on the folder "My Videos" and it crashes premiere? and you dont even select a video file to import? nor click on one?

Perhaps there is a video file in there that is damaged / virus / really weird codec, and when it trys to load the thumbnail it "stuffs up"?

Try moving each video file to a seperate location and by trial and error you might find it works when you remove one video file from the "my video" folder?

Or move everything out of the folder, delete it and see what happens then?

As far as the video card... i dont know much, but i dont think it has anything to do with it. Unless the videos you try to view in the folder are "stuffed up" because of the video card.

Hope this helps, get back to me if it dont, hopefully someone else has some information.

Red Blanchard

Red Blanchard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again for your reply. I just tried to import from another source, but it defaults to My Videos, and before I can change it to something else, the whole Movie Maker has shut down. All other imports work fine,
still pictures and audio.
I guess I will try to change that 'default' video source setting, but not sure if I can do it.

Red Blanchard

Red Blanchard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well now I am really confused. I imported the Collections from another former version of Movie Maker successfully, and now I can also import files as well. This time, though, the Import option does not appear on the File drop-down, but is listed on the "Capture Video" option. Very confusing, but now it does appear to be working normally. I fail to see how importing a previous set of Collections should make any difference.
Getting late, and I will also try it again with Adobe Premier when I get the chance.

Red Blanchard

Red Blanchard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK thie seems to be the final answer. I tried running Movie Maker and 'Importing" video files from another hard drive, and lo and behold it worked. Then by judicious deleting of various video files, I discovered that one of the video files was corrupted in some way to cause Movie Maker to shut down. So now Movie Maker is working, and there seem to be some file extensions it won't tolerate. Too bad I can't really put my finger on it exactly at this point. (By the way Adobe Premier also was fixed by eliminating the bad file)

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi, were you browsing the files to import in 'thumbnail' view (rather than list or detail)? I had this in the past with some movies and WMM didn't like trying to preview the video when I was selecting it. I had to change the view to another type and it stopped crashing. Thought I'd mention it :tazz:

Red Blanchard

Red Blanchard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
You are right. MY VIDEOS does show the 'thumbnails' when I look at the folder, and I still show them, even though now files import OK. I will check into eliminating the Thumbnails, though; don't need them except for other folders like My Pictures. Thanks for the suggestion.