Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some questions about GTG

• Please log in to reply

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I have just a few questions about the forum in general.

1. What determines your title and what group you belong to above the "geek hats" under your avatar? I was just curious because some people have geek university and i was wondering whats that all about.

2. Are persons with "Staff" logos paid workers for GTG? or are you guys the founding members of the forum or something.

I was just curious what the names, and number of hats mean.

Thanks!

-Thebinaryman

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Geek U is a teaching program to learn to fight malware. The hats represent your number of posts to the board. No one gets paid in money; we are compensated with knowing we were helpful and, occasionally, a "thank you" from a poster. Staff are people who have been chosen by the admin as being trusted to post good advice, and we have additional resources available from G2G to help us to help others.

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
plus.....we're magic

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks for the information Johanna and dsenette! That cleared up a bit of confusion.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

plus.....we're magic

So how come you're cursed as a monkey? :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

plus.....we're magic

So how come you're cursed as a monkey? :tazz:

C'mon Admin, you know Dave doesn't know HOW to use his magic :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So how come you're cursed as a monkey?

how is being a monkey a curse?....i've got the whole tail thing going on.....climbing trees...eating nanners....flinging poop..plus the sexy glasses...

C'mon Admin, you know Dave doesn't know HOW to use his magic

i do so!!!!!.....i can't help it that the only magic skill i have is to turn large pieces of paper into small pieces of paper....i mean....we can't all be as special as you rawe.....danged fins..

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
I was wondering, is there any other way to be a "trusted tech" besides the geek U. I no nothing when it comes the malware, but (not to boast) i have been a computer geek for 10 years, and am soon to be comptia a+ certified (i still have to take the second test soon). i know there are others here that are very good with solving computer problems, and not necesarily malware that would be a good staff also. It would be good if there were a way to someday become a trusted tech here. I just like helping people, and one day being a trusted tech would be pretty sweet. also, i saw that there was one person here who was a staff member already with only 3 posts, and less than a month of being a member.

p.s. please dont think i'm complaining or naging

Edited by Thebinaryman, 21 November 2005 - 12:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you dont go through geek U for trusted tech, trusted tech you get given after you show enough knowledge and dedication, but techs from other hardware sites get trusted tech automatically as far as i know. There is a selection process and its all very democratic.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Quality of posts is far more important than quantity. If you consistently post good replies, you'll get noticed. We have a process where you are nominated and elected to trusted tech by your peers.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Alright, thats understandable. Thanks for the info!