Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will RAID controller card act as IDE controller card?

• Please log in to reply

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have 2 identical 80 gig hard drives both plugged into a PCI Silicon Image RAID Controller card. It worked fine, but I no longer want to have a RAID setup.

So, I "broke" the RAID relationship in the RAID setup hoping that the controller card would simply treat the two drives as seperate disks and act as a regular IDE controller card would. It did not.

Windows now recognizes one of the disks as normal and healthy and the other one it "sees", but calls it a dynamic disk (as opposed to a simple or static disk, or something like that) and it shows it as at risk. From the disk management screen, the right-click option to "Convert drive to static" is disabled/greyed out. The disk is not active and I do have the option to reactivate the disk but I hesitate to reactivate it as a dynamic drive. The disk is not mounted and has no drive letter assigned.

Does anyone have any experience along this line? I'd like to recognize both drives as seperate disks and use them as such in Windows XP.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't have direct experience with this exact issue..but....

the reason that drive is marked as dynamic..is because for raid to work..it has to be dynamic (the drive being dynamic wont hurt anything...just gives you the option of spanning info from one drive to the other and making them look like one drive....which is how raid works)...i would activate that drive...which should mount it and assign it a drive letter..it may also give you the option to change it back to static once you do that (though...from my experience..once a drive is dynamic...it's not gonna go back)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as an adendum...the drive is probably marked as inactive..because it was the mirror drive in your raid config.