Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you upgrade 98 to XP?

• Please log in to reply

tasha2813

tasha2813

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just wanted to know if I can upgrade my Windows 98 pc to Windows XP???? Thanks so much for all your help :tazz: [font=Comic Sans Ms]

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To use Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, you need these essential components, items and services.

• Computer/processor

PC with a 233 MHz or faster processor required; 300 MHz Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6 / Athlon / Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• Memory

128 MB of RAM or more recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• Hard Disk

1.5 GB of available hard disk space required (hard disk usage will vary based on configuration; custom install may use more or less disk space)

• Drive

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive

• Other Devices

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

• Display

Super VGA monitor and video adapter supporting 800 x 600 or higher resolution

Upgrades are not as good as a clean install of a new Operating System, because any errors in the existing configuration could carry over

If your PC meets the system requirements, backing up your data and programmes then formatting the drive to install from an XP CD will be the better thing long term

tasha2813

tasha2813

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So if I start as a new install what do I need to do to my current pc? And what software product do I need to buy?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary, click report, quick report summary, save as text file then copy and paste this (excluding any personal details) in to a reply to this thread

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
General rule of thumb, pending the outcome of Everest's report, is what a system that runs Win98 satisfactorily is usually not capable of XP.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If your computer is fast enough to run xp. Clean install xp tasha2813, get a full version of xp.

You will loose all data on your current harddrive so back it up if you can.

Edited by jrm20, 18 November 2005 - 07:14 PM.

bengaluru

bengaluru

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Yes I agree with jrm20. If you can back up all your data, I recommend Clean Install. Hope your XP is original because many times a copied version would not work in all machines. Good Luck

Edited by bengaluru, 19 November 2005 - 08:57 AM.