Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Accidently deleted registry keys= outcome repair error

• Please log in to reply

Vamatt99218

Vamatt99218

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi!. I have a Windows XP Home Edition Setup error.
It happened when I deleted the class registry keys because I did not know that they functioned with Windows.
Next thing I know, computer does not function, I can't click on anything.
I restart the computer and nothing happens. I try to repair using a Windows XP CD. It installs Windows XP Home Edition and the a long list of errors comes up for me. It occurs at 39min mark of setup.
The error says:

"OpenService(tabsrv) returned error 1060 (424)"

And many .CATs cannot be removed by setup.
At the end of the HUGE error list, it says:

"FATAL ERROR: Setup failed to install the prodcut catalogs. The setup log files should contain more information. "
"ERROR: "The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid. The error code is ffffffdda. The system cannot find message number 0xffffffdda in the message file for syssetup.dll."

I try everything, from boot-ups to repairs, nothing works.
Whenever I boot the computer with a floppy disk, it can't read the C: drive.
I have:
Pentium 4 1.8GHZ
1 Gigabyte of RAM
1 100 GB Hard Drive with 0 paritions
Windows XP Home Edition

If anyone can tell me or help me, that would be appreciated.
P.S. I can't get into Windows XP...

UPDATE: I will reformat the drive

Edited by Vamatt99218, 21 November 2005 - 05:13 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is the xp home cd you're using...an upgrade disk...or a full install disk?

Vamatt99218

Vamatt99218

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm using a full install CD of Windows XP Home Version 2002.
I'm going to reformat the disk now after reading other posts on other sites.
Sorry If I troubled any of you guys because it seems that the only solution is to reformat. Thanks!

Update: Actually, I did not reformat the drive.

I did a full install without losing any information.
1. Everytime I started the computer it would go to setup so I made 6 boot up floppy disks found here:
http://support.micro...com/kb/q310994/
2. I booted the computer using the boot disks since the Windows XP CD did not work for me.
3. When the first choice comes as to whether to repair or go for full install of Windows XP.
4. I chose full install and then chose a drive, C. It asked me if I wanted to overwrite the original Windows, I said yes.
5. A screen to install Windows XP came up and I installed it using the CD. The setup went smoothy although for quite some time I couldn't find the Windows setup password till I saw the password sticker on my computer tower!
6. It took me 3 hours to finally install everything but it was worth it.

Edited by Vamatt99218, 21 November 2005 - 06:03 PM.

gg47

gg47

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Did you lose any of your files? I'm having the same problem, and I'm really worried about losing my files...

Vamatt99218

Vamatt99218

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, in my experience I did not lose any critical files. All that was lost was user data (Internet Explorer favorites, Internet Explorer history, the Start Menu, etc.. ). The rest of the data on my C: drive was left intact. Just select the option to do a full regular install of Windows XP over the existing Windows XP and you should be fine, gg47.

Edited by Vamatt99218, 21 November 2005 - 06:04 PM.