Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost access to network server

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
i lost access today to a windows 2003 server on the network from my xp machine. i had drives mapped and when i tried to re-map them i get the error "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occured: Logon failure: the target account name is incorrect"

i am able to ping the server using netbios and ip. i am able to net view the server using the ip, but when i try with the netbios name i get "system error 5 has occurred. access is denied."

there seem to be a few sites that mention these errors, but in not one did i find a solution to get access to this server back... nothing has been changed on the server recently, the only change i have made on this machine today (when i lost the connection) was changing my password in active directory (on a different server) and i have since changed it back to no avail.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried logging on to the server locally?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like an authentication error. The file server is not the domain server, correct? How long did you wait? Is the server and the domain controller in the same forest?

It might take a while for the change to replicate across the network.

What happens when you log in a different machine in the domain?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

have you tried logging on to the server locally?

yes, i logged on locally, and everything seems to be fine. i am the only user that is having problems accessing it it seems...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you haven't been fired have you? hehehehe..just kidding

can you remote desktop to the server?

how is the drive mapped...

through a log on script? or do you do it manually?

try removing your computer from the domain (join a workgroup) then rejoin the domain....assuming you have the neccessary permissions to do this.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

The file server is not the domain server, correct?

correct

How long did you wait?

i have tried intermittently throughout the last few hours, the longest time i left it has been a little over an hour.

Is the server and the domain controller in the same forest?

yes

What happens when you log in a different machine in the domain?

it logs in fine, no error messages...

Edited by hulud, 18 November 2005 - 03:59 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a hint for AD management...if you want to make a change in AD...like a password change...and you want it to take effect immediately...do start > run > gpupdate /force this will force the group policy update to happen immediately..instead of within 24 hours.(or whatever your update schedule is)

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

can you remote desktop to the server?

actually, i just tried this and it took me to the wrong machine!

how is the drive mapped...

login script originally, but i removed them myself and tried to add them back in and now it is not letting me

try removing your computer from the domain (join a workgroup) then rejoin the domain....assuming you have the neccessary permissions to do this.

will try this in just a second

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you m ean it took you to the wrong machine?

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
okay, tried joining a workgroup and re-joining the domain to no avail, same problem...

what do you m ean it took you to the wrong machine?

i went to remote desktop connection, typed in to connect to lets say "server2" and it took my to the desktop of "server1" after i signed on... basically i tried to remote desktop to the application server and when i logged on the screen that i was on was the mail server

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try doing the remote connectioni by ip....

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
that worked fine! my computer must somehow be relating the wrong ip for the server i want, thinking that two servers have the same ip... this (thinking back on it) may have been caused by some software that i installed and then removed yesterday, but the problem wasnt there this morning... any ideas how to fix this? :/

Edited by hulud, 18 November 2005 - 04:20 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you have the authority to rename the machine and then add it to the domain under a different computer name? I would try that in addition to simply removing the machine and rejoining.

(and remove the old machine name from active directory)

It seems like this is a computer authentication issue more than user name issue--though I cannot imagine why this occured...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like either a dns issue...or...a hosts file issue maybe..

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
i believe i figured out the problem was caused when installing a progress server for some software the company uses, i must have put the wrong ip for the server machine, and this has screwed something up. i have since removed the software and now it will not reinstall... i cant think how to fix the problem.. might have to do a clean install on monday :tazz: