Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot delete a file from XP

• Please log in to reply

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a 700+ MB .avi file that I would like to delete. Whenever I try to delete it in Windows XP, my machine becomes VERY sluggish. When I open the task manager, I can see that my machine's CPU is pegged at 100% under the "Explorer" process.

It will remain that way indefinitely. I tried using a DOS utility called forcedel after a fresh reboot and get an error that the file is locked, write-protected or in use by another application, which it isn't (that I can tell). How can I delete the file?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
make sure that the file isn't write protected...then boot into safemode with command line support (i think that's what it's called) and try to delete it from the command line..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html or try that program

kramerd1506

kramerd1506

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts