Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP desktop

• Please log in to reply

ohairs

ohairs

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a desktop pc that I recently used. I moved stored it for a month and went to set it up only to find that the moniter would not come on. It said no signal. I plugged that moniter into w working pc and it worked fine. I was thinking it was the video card then. My friend looked at it and decided to bypass the card because it is integrated to the mother board, and when he tried to turn it on nothing would work. This by the way was prior to replacing the card. He says it does not post leaving him to believe it is, motherboard, ram, or any suggestions? On this HP it seems you can not replace the motherboard. What could it be? If it is not the main dude? How can I find out if the components listed are the reason?
Thanks for any suggestions. This is a HP pavilolion pentium 3

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'd start by checking the battery on the motherboard, and then the power supply.

A typical motherboard battery:
Posted Image

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Are you getting any beeps when it comes on? usually 2 to 4 beeps with AMI bios chips means it's a video or memory problem... if your bios is an AWARD, then 1 long beep is a memory problem, one long and two (sometimes three) short is a video problem. If it's a PHEONIX bios, there are many different beep codes, usually if it's one, then 3 or 4 right after, it's a memory problem, three, then 3 or 4 right after, it's a video problem

If you're not getting beeps at all it could be, as mentioned, the battery, or if the computer was stored in a damp area, the pins on the memory strips (and any other installed cards) could have become corroded... you might want to pull the memory strips out, and give them a quick clean, then try again.

ohairs

ohairs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=green]How the heck do you get the battery out? I have cleaned all the cards. I noticed the video card had nothing plugged into it. Does it just fit in the slot and that is recognized by the motherboard? :tazz:

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
The video card has nothing plugged into it.... do you mean the brown agp slot is empty? That's common if you have video built into the motherboard. Or do you mean there's a video card, but your monitor isn't plugged into it? It is possible to add a video card and disable the builtin card, so, I'm confused about your statement.

As for the battery... good question, depends on the holder... some have a little metal retaining clip you just push out of the way.... others, the black plastic surrounding it has little nibs sticking out that hold it in... usually, the technique is to put a very slim screwdriver down the edge, and pry the battery out, all the while trying not to break the black plastic holder and thus ruin the motherboard :-) Batteries weren't meant to be replaceable by the average computer owner, so, it's sort of an applied art at times to get it out safely :-)