Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ERROR MESSAGE TRYING TO BACKUP OUTLOOK with MS Outlook Addin applicati

• Please log in to reply

davemendoza

davemendoza

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
QUESTION: ERROR MESSAGE TRYING TO BACKUP OUTLOOK with MS Outlook Addin application

First of all, my present pst file seems to be working fine. What I want to do is use the Outlook Backup Addin application to backup my pst files -- which I was able to do without issue after exiting Outlook _BEFORE my computer totally short circuited and I had to buy a new one.

Since having my files reloaded onto a new computer (my last one short circuited) I have been completely unable to backup my critical Outlook pst file. The Outlook Backup Addin application intiates after exiting Outlook HOWEVER then it pops an error message.

PROBLEM:
I receive the same error messages each time I try. The error message reads as follows:

"Error Moving File or Folder

Cannot move Outlook Backup: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

MY THEORY:
I think it is because the File that Outlook is using is also called "Outlook Backup." The IT Repair shop reinstalled files and used the backup itself for the reinstall of my Outlook Professional 2003.

HISTORY:
Before the whole computer meltdown issue on the prior computer -- I was indeed able to regularly exit the application and initiate the backup add-on feature that MS Outlook provides an back it up to a separate dedicated backup folder. The process mentioned is my elusive goal.

WHAT I TRIED HAS FAILED SO FAR:

I have tried to do the copying maneuver (It worked the first time I tried it on the last computer just one time but would not repeat it thereafter) as well by shutting down the computer and restarting and PRIOR to opening Outlook I try to do the copy .... But it still will not let me.

Given my recent history, I am sure you can appreciate my compulsion to want to back up my pst files !!!

My goal is simply to exit Outlook and have the Outlook back-up Addin initiate, start up and copy to a dedicated folder in My Documents without any issues as I was once upon a time able to do

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
What add-in? Where did you get it?
I think we may need to know the mechanism it uses before we can make a suggestion

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
A thought....

Open
C:\Documents and Settings\{profile name}\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

move all PST files from here to a temporary folder (leave extend.dat).

COPY the most recent PST file back to the above folder and rename it outlook.pst

Open OUTLOOK and it will complain of missing file, click OK, select outlook.pst, and press OPEN. Outlook will complain again and then quit. That's OK. Now start outlook again....you should have your email back and it should be accessing the outlook.pst file.

I think your add-in will work now.

davemendoza

davemendoza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thank you. the problem is that it will not let me either rename it nor move the file nor copy the file because it says it is being utilized by the application.

I tried to copy or move after rebooting and only once did it let me move it .... on my last computer.

Do you agree that it may likely be the name of teh PST is "outlook Backup" itself? (Since it was recovered form my prior computer)????

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I installed that and am not getting that same error. I can move them both (the original and copy).

Do a search on *.pst files...how many are there and where are they?

Do a CTRL ALT DEL and look under processes--do you see OUTLOOK.EXE (with outlook closed?)

davemendoza

davemendoza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks Gerry ... where do I look to find "processes"?

I assume you want me to shut it down? How do I do it and make sure it doesn't screw Outlook up ??

davemendoza

davemendoza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I pulled up contr9ol alt delete, looked under processes but didn't see Outlook exe on .. still cannot move it

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Odd.....what is keeping that file open? Do you know how make a screen capture?

CTRL ALT DEL, select process then

Hit print screen key (ALT-PTRSC with ), then paste it into Paint or something, then saveit as a jpg and add it here.