Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a computer

• Please log in to reply

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have made a post like this before only I never ended up making the computer. I've been reading a couple other book pertaining to building computers. I still do not know enough to be certain about choosing parts though as these books are older and don't talk about newer parts. My goal is to have a computer that can surf the web and play Oblivion I know the system specs aren't out yet but I was hopeing someone could help me and tell me if they think this would run it and if not help me change out parts and such. I also would like it if someone could tell me if I made a retarded mistake while picking parts or if some other parts would work better. I am trying to make a low budget computer that can play some good games ... if that's possible.

** The "FREE" things are parts I already own

CPU..........................................................................$152.00
MoBo........................................................................$64.00
RAM.........................................................................$88.50
Video card................................................................$119.99
hd............................................................................FREE
cd drive....................................................................FREE
cheap sound card......................................................FREE
Ethernet card............................................................FREE
TOTAL......................................................................$424.49

Below are the actual parts I intend to buy after Christmas. They are all from NewEgg. I think the Mother Board might have been a bad choice it is cheap but the reviews seemed good. Please review them and tell me if they are bad choices.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
Specifications

Model
Brand AMD
Series Athlon 64
Model ADA3200BPBOX
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
Tech Spec
Core Venice
Name Athlon 64 3200+
Operating Frequency 2.0GHz
FSB 1GHz
L1 Cache 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache 512KB
Process Type 90 nm
Hyper-Transport Support Yes
64 bit Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Voltage 1.35/1.4V
Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty 3-year warranty

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128286
GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb ATX AMD Motherboard
Specifications

Model
Brand GIGABYTE
Model GA-K8NSC-939
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type Socket 939
CPU Type Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64
FSB 800MHz Hyper Transport (1600MT/s)
Chipsets
North Bridge NVIDIA nForce3 250Gb
Memory
Number of DDR Slots 4x 184pin DDR
DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Maximum Memory Supported 4GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes
Expansion Slots
AGP Slots 1x AGP 8X/4X
PCI Express x16 None
PCI Slots 5
Storage Devices
PATA 2 x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
SATA 2 x SATA 150
Onboard Video
Onboard Video No
Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC850
Audio Channels 8 Channels
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Marvell 88E8001
LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
COM 2
LPT 1
USB 4x USB 2.0
Audio Ports 3 jacks
Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220037
Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
Specifications

Model
Brand Patriot
Series Signature Series
Model PSD1G400KH
Type 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Tech Spec
Capacity 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Cas Latency 2.5
Timing 2.5-3-3-7
Voltage 2.6V
ECC No
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Heat Spreader Yes
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty Lifetime

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131296
POWERCOLOR R98E-SD3B Radeon 9800SE 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card Specifications

Model
Brand POWERCOLOR
Model R98E-SD3B
Chipset
GPU Radeon 9800SE
Core clock 350MHz
Memory
Memory Clock 600MHz
Memory Size 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type DDR
3D API
DirectX DirectX 9
OpenGL OpenGL 1.3
Interface
Interface AGP 4X/8X
Ports
D-SUB 1
DVI 1
TV-Out S-Video/Composite Out
VIVO No
General
Tuner None
Max Resolution 2048x1536@85Hz
SLI Supported No
Cooler Heatsink and Fan
Operating Systems Supported Windows 2000/XP
System Requirements Intel Pentium 4, AMD or compatible CPUs
128 MB system memory or more
AGP compliant motherboard supporting AGP4X or AGP8X
Packaging
Package Contents S-Video Cable
Composite Cable
DVI to VGA Adapter
Power Cable
Driver CD

You guys must either really love doing this or are just really awesome if you actually help me. Anyways thanks in advance if you do.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The motherboard you picked is a good one but the reason it is cheaper is because the chipset is nforce3. Nforce4 chipset are better and you should get that instead.

Are you into gaming? How much into it if so?

Since you are building a new pc I recommend getting a pci express video card. They are newer technology and better. Agp is getting out-dated and will come to an end.

Edited by jrm20, 18 November 2005 - 07:28 PM.

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I am very onto gameing. I will be camping out to try to get an Xbox on mon if I don't manage to find another way. [bleep] me for not reserveing. Anyways as into gameing as I may be I have never been able to afford computer gameing this will be actually my first computer of decent quality.

Could I get a decent Nforce4 motherboard for about 100-150?
How much more would a pci express video card cost me?

I have been trying to set up the computer so it won't be the best thing around but I will be able to upgrade it as i move along. Thats why I chose the 939 socket I've read that it was one of the newer and better sockets so I figured it would be around for a while.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yes, Nforce4 starts out just a little bit more.

Pci express doesnt cost any more really. The price of the video card depends on the speed of it.

I would get a faster video card if you will be gaming alot. What games will you be playing for pc?

Edited by jrm20, 18 November 2005 - 07:57 PM.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Last time i checked a PCIE card was considerably more expensive then an AGP card of the same callibure. as for upgrading to PCIE it doesnt really matter seeings as how he is going for a low end system anyway.

looks like a good system though, should run good games but dont hope for maxed out settings.

Edited by operation ivy, 18 November 2005 - 08:37 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Actually now, if the video card was the same exact series the agp version will run the same or $20-30 more. I have seen it above $50 more for an agp version on the same card.

Im here to give factual information. I know my hardware... Im like the hardware guru especially on video cards.

http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property

If you sort by highest price you will see that the agp versions run $45 or $55 more than the highest priced pci express on the same exact card series and specs..

The reason why is because they quit making the agp versions... So they are now limited..
Im here so that people can learn something from me. :tazz:

Edited by jrm20, 18 November 2005 - 09:17 PM.

operation ivy

operation ivy

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Actually now, if the video card was the same exact series the agp version will run the same or $20-30 more. I have seen it above $50 more for an agp version on the same card.
Im here to give factual information. I know my hardware... Im like the hardware guru especially on video cards.
http://www.newegg.co...Submit=Property
If you sort by highest price you will see that the agp versions run $45 or $55 more than the highest priced pci express on the same exact card series and specs..

The reason why is because they quit making the agp versions... So they are now limited..
Im here so that people can learn something from me. :tazz:

hmm :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lol

Gamer2bn

Gamer2bn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
What I would Mainly like to play is The Elder Scrolls : Oblivion I would like to play Morrowind as well but I'm sure it will be able to handle that. I don't really mind not useing the best setting or at least I don't think I do. Like I said I could never really afford computer gaming so haveing anything at all would make me happy.

I am also going to use the computer to teach myself some more VB and eventually build a server to teach myself SQL off of.

EDIT: So on that list what do you think of the first one

MSI RX800-TD128E Radeon X800 128MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

It looks alright to me and the price jumps from 140 to 180 if I go any better.

Edited by Gamer2bn, 18 November 2005 - 10:02 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya Morrowind wont need a fast pc at all to play it good but The Elder Scrolls : Oblivion will require more power and video power. They say it will certainly look the best on the latest hardware available when the game is released.

:tazz:

Your pc will be great! I just recommend a better video card if you possibly could. The video card speeds up everything..

Edited by jrm20, 18 November 2005 - 10:09 PM.