Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

start up on xp

• Please log in to reply

stormycloud

stormycloud

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have a dell dimension 2100 on my bench that was working but running very slow and freezing up . I pulled the cover off and the processor was full of Dust. I took off the cooling fan and cooling fin and cleaned them and reinstalled them. now all it does when you press the start button is show the dell logo, on the screen the is no post or bios. it just sits there any ideas???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
stormycloud...

Is the processor seated in the socket good? How about thermal transfer between the processor and cooler...did you use new thermal paste?

wannabe1

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I never removed the cpu but I didn't have any paste to put back on the cooler. would this cause it to not be able to get past the dell logo to the post??? I have done this before and never had to use new paste as I don't have any. I'll definitly get some though.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
stormycloud...

It doesn't take much to cause a bad connection in the CPU socket and would certainly cause your symptoms. Try removing the CPU and reseating it in the socket. Check your cableing, too. Make sure all the power connectors are firmly set in the motherboard.

Thermal transfer is also very important...the CPU can overheat quite quickly without proper cooling and will either shut the machine down or prevent it from starting. Always use a good thermal paste when installing or reinstalling a CPU cooler unit.

The inability of this machine to POST at all points to a bad connection or a bad processor, though.

wannabe1

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have checked & rechecked the connections, I pulled the cpu and checked it out and reseated it but still no luck, I have to go to town this afternoon and hopefully i can find some paste. (small town syndrome) and try that, otherwise you think it would have to be the cpu? how about the motherboard could that cause it? It seems funny that it would post one minute then nothing the next???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, the motherboard could be the problem...but being that the only thing you really messed with was the CPU cooler, that's the area I'd be looking at first.

wannabe1

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanx wannabe1 I'll try the paste first and then let you know.....

stormycloud

stormycloud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried the paste Idea and it now works fine. Thanks alot you were a great help Three cheers for wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Happy to help, stormycloud... :tazz: Glad you are back up and running!

wannabe1