Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Gigabit Network

• Please log in to reply

Ardrigh

Ardrigh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I recently installed a d-link gigabit switch and d-link gigabit network cards to my home network.

Can anyone suggest or recommend a better program to test network speeds than perfmon?

I don't think it is performing to its full potentional and I am not sure why. All the cards are set to run at 1 gigabit, they say they are, all the working network cards in the machines are now 1 gigabit (the old 100mb onboard network cards are all disabled) and I have checked to ensure that my cat 5 cables are capable of 1 gigabit speeds.

Any ideas as to why the transfers wouldn't be getting up to speed?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey Ardrigh, Welcome to G2G

When you say transfers, are you referring to transfers between PCs or download/upload to the internet?

Internet transactions will be limited by your ISP connection bandwidth.

If it is PC to PC transfers you are referring to please post back with the card and router model numbers, what operating system you are running on each pc (including service packs and patches)

Edited by brianmil0923, 18 November 2005 - 11:11 PM.

Ardrigh

Ardrigh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
If I had gigabit internet I would dump my girlfriend and never leave the house.

All computers are running Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

I am assuming you are asking for my switch model number since I don't have a network router and my adsl router has nothing to do with this conversation since it would not intefere with pc to pc traffic. The switch is D-Link DGS-1005D. The network cards are D-Link DGE-530T (all of them).

The cat 5 cables are TIA/EIA 568A.

EDIT: Well I guess a small amount of congestion could occur due to my internet if I was for instance downloading torrents at full speed etc but most of the time I am transferring files over the LAN I am doing next to nothing internet wise.

Edited by Ardrigh, 18 November 2005 - 11:24 PM.

Supacon Fizzix

Supacon Fizzix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too am having issues with my Gigabit connection. I have two computers directly connected with a CAT 5e cable between adapters. One has an Intel Pro1000MT and the other has the Marvell Yukon adapter that is included with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Doing file transfers with Windows Filesharing between the two computers typically peaks at about 15% of its potential. I am getting speeds well under 10MB/s... often around 4MB/s. Shouldn't I be able to get about 30 or even more, with fast enough CPU and disk systems in place?

I thought I used to be able to get faster speeds, but can't think of what may have happened.

Out of curiousity, does having the gigabit device in a bridge with a slower 10/100 adapter slow down performance at all? I've tried it both ways, and I don't see a drastic difference in performance, based on some very quick preliminary tests.