Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic Computer Drama - blue screen, dll files, recovery, etc

• Please log in to reply

NancyJane

NancyJane

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Timeline of Events

STEP 1: Couldn't start up Dell Dimension 4400, kept getting blue screen

STEP 2: Tried repairing with Windows xp home edition CD -- while running, got the following error messages

#1 COM+ Setup Error
Sub-component COM_ raised an exception while processing the OC_COMPLETE_INSTALLATION setup message. d:\nt\com\com1x\src\complussetup\comsetup\csetuputil.cpp (line 3406) Error code = 0x8007007f
The specified procedure could not be found. Failed to load the library 'c:\windows\system32.catsrv.dll [ok]

#2 Windows Update
An error occurred loading "c:\windows\system32\inetcomm.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted [ok]

#3 Windows Update
An error occurred loading "c:\program files\outlook express\msoe.dll". The file may not have been installed or it has been corrupted. [ok]

Clicked okay thru the recovery process. As it was loading my personal preferences, it seemed to be stuck. I rebooted.

STEP 3: As I'm logging on, I get the message that my virtual memory paging file is ?? (can't recall exact words). It's too small. I try to change it but it will not accept the size changes. Additionally, my system is running painfully slow, like I have never experienced. With the advice of a Dell rep, I run "regedit" and change system current control set "waittokillservicetimeout" from 2000 to 200. Unfortunately, I am not under warranty so he can no longer help me. I continue to change the size of my virtual memory page, reboot, and yet it will not accept the changes. Meanwhile, as far as I can tell...everything with my computer is okay except that I cannot open Outlook Express. When I do, I get "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.dll could not be loaded [ok]" The only other issue is that at startup, all the miscellaneous programs (NAV, adaware, etc) are not in my tray, as the Dell person walked me thru getting them disabled at startup.

STEP 4: I tried to system recover, but get the message "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and run System Restore again"

I'm thinking I need to use the reinstallation CD again for recovery and this time not interrupt it if it seems hung up. My question is...can I use that CD twice? Will it worsen the situation since I've already attempted recovery? Based on the input I get, I may or may not be checking back in for more assistance.

Thanks for your help and insight...I appreciate it.

Nancy

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NancyJane...

There are a couple of things we can try depending on what cd you have. Is it a retail version or an OEM (Dell) recovery cd?

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It's the CD that came with the Dell computer...so I'll go with "OEM"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NancyJane...

Ok...then I assume the repair you mentioned was from the recovery console...I don't think the repair I like to use is supported on Dell cd's.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). Reboot your machine. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient. If you receive an "invalid switch" error, drop the /f switch and use just chkdsk /r.

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay, did as you recommended. Still getting paging file error and cannot open mail. I am able to run system restore, but i have no saved restores :tazz: I have to say...when I ran the scannow...it asked if I wanted to install xp, install optional xp components or other. I selected optional (hope that was right).

Next step?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NancyJane...

Let's see if your cd will let us do the repair...This is very similar to recovery console, but will replace your operating system and leave your data intact. Follow the instructions carefully...it's not difficult, but it's very easy to end up back in recovery console. That's not what we want.

REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm back...and not with good news. I'm right back to square one. While reinstalling, got the same three messages above (number 1-3); got the virtual memory paging file size error and still can't get mail. It's almost 5 in the am, and I'm not closer to being fixed. :tazz: Next idea? PS/Don't mean to whine...I really do appreciate the help. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NancyJane...

There are a number of things that can cause these errors...we'll have to take them on one at a time.

Lets test the memory first (0x8007007f)...

Download MEMTEST, extract it, and run it. This will test the reliability of your RAM memory. Be sure to read the information HERE. The link I provided is for the floppy version. Create the floppy as instructed on the website and restart your machine with the floppy in the drive. Run the test for at least an hour...longer if you can. The longer the test runs the better.

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi wannabe! I've downloaded the file, and restarted my computer with the floppy in the drive, and it says disk error...remove disk and press any key to continue. How do I get it to read the disk on startup? OR...am I supposed to select the .exe file on the disk? I'm not sure how to use it, despite reading the instructions. Your input is appreciated.
Nancy

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oooopss....nevermind wannabe! I found out what I did wrong. BBL with the results! Keep your fingers crossed!

Advertisements

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi wannabe... After 4 hours of letting it run, I finally hit the escape key. Don't know how much longer it would've run if I didn't interuppt it. In any case, don't know what I was looking for, but in the error column, it stayed as 0. Was that sufficient, or was I supposed to look for something in particular? Let me know...thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...you did fine. That pretty much verifies that this is not a memory problem...this is a good thing! One less thing to check! :tazz:

Let's look at the paging file settings...

Open "System" in Control Panel and click on the "Advanced" tab, under "Performance", click "Settings". On the "Advanced" tab, under "Virtual memory", click "Change". Under "Drive [Volume Label]", click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

What are the values listed for your Paging File?

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
"Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified.

In the advanced tab...

"Total Paging file for all drives: 0 MB

When I click on change...
Initial = 267
Max = 4096

At the bottom, where it says currently allocated, it lists 0

Keep in mind I put the 267 and 4096 in. I've tried other amounts...500/1000; 250/1250. I reboot each time and the paging error comes up again.

Hey wannabe? I did a search on this site for msoe.dll, and see a few other folks that had the same problem, one of which convinced me I needed to start my own thread. There is a place I can d/l msoe...although I realize thats only part of my problem. In any case...thought I'd let you know.

For now, I've had two nights of going to bed after 2:30 in the a.m...I needs me some sleep! Recovering from the flu is hard enough without trying to deal with this frustration. :tazz:

Thanks for your help...see what you have when I wake in the morning!

Nancy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've already downloaded the msoe.dll file to attach for you...just don't want to put it on the machine until we figure out what's going on...we don't need to corrupt another copy.

Try letting the system determine the paging file size instead of using the custom setting and see if that helps that issue.

Get your rest...I'll be around here somewhere.... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2005 - 02:06 AM.

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay...changed, rebooted...and...nothing. Still get the error message upon startup and although the settings still say system-managed, allocated remains at 0.