Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic Computer Drama - blue screen, dll files, recovery, etc

• Please log in to reply

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
PS/Windows wants to install new updates. Should I? Or should I wait?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NancyJane...

Yes, go ahead and let the updates install....

I'm working on the paging file issue and will get back with you shortly.

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay, updates are installed. tried to log in last night, but for some reason, the site wouldn't appear on my browser. Yet, every other site I went on was fine. Was the system down? Either way...I'm ready for my next step!

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
wannabe1....just checking in to see what my next step is. I'll be away for the holiday, so you may not hear from me for a few days. I'll be eager to get back and see this thru. Thanks for your help, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Talk soon...Nancy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi NancyJane...

Ok...the Page File Issue...

Go to the Page File settings just as if you were going to change the size of the Page File (Virtual Memory). Put a tick in the button next to "no paging file"...click "Ok". "Apply" the changes. If there is more than one Page File (multiple hard drives), do this for each instance of the Page File. Reboot your machine.

Go back to the Page File settings and put a tick in the button next to "System managed size", click the "Set" button, and click "Ok". Apply the changes and restart your computer.

Go to the Page File settings (again) and look to see that the Page File has set up. Let me know what you find.

wannabe1

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay....did all as you said. There is no change, everything remains the same.

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
HOLD THE PHONE!

As I'm on here, a warning bubble just appeared in my tray:

oh drat...went to type it out and it disappeared! Here's the gist...

Windows warned that my virtual memory was too low and that it was going to increase the size.

So I just went back into system settings, and nothing changed. Grrrrr! Meanwhile, my drive is chugging away....no idea what it is working on, but it is busy as ever!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let it work for a few minutes and let me know if it changes the size of the Page File. If not, go back to the Page File settings and try to manually change the settings to 1.5 times the amount of RAM you have in the machine.

Also...if you will PM me with your e-mail addy, I will send you a couple of files I'd like you to install to the System32 Folder.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 November 2005 - 02:34 PM.

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi wannabe! Okay, d/l as instructed, renamed and cut and pasted into sys32 folder. Rebooted. still got paging file. Out of curiosity, tried to open outlook express, and it said msoe could not be loaded. Next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:tazz: Are we having fun yet???

Well, we now the files are all there and they are known good files...that points to a reistry problem of some sort.

How about the errors involving the other two files I sent? Any problems there?

Do you have your CD handy? I'd like to run a System File Check on that machine of yours.

To do the SFC, Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

wannabe1

Edit: added (type Y and press Enter)

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2005 - 01:29 AM.

Advertisements

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi again! I only got those error messages when I was using the CD to restore...so I'll assume the other two files are good. As for scannow, we did that back in post #4. You say you want me to run it again? If so, I have a question about what to select in post #5 or #6. Let me know which I'm supposed to select. - N

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This isn't the repair...it's a comparison of the system files on the CD with those on the machine. If there are files that don't match, they will be repaired or restored. The chkdsk (note that the switches are a little different this time around) will restore registry function with the repaired files and check the hard drive for other problems...overall a quite different operation than the repair and sometimes more effective on some problems.

I'm eyeballing the Page File and OE problems with this one...something in the machine just isn't matching up! The machine is looking for a blonde and finding a redhead...we need to find out why... :tazz: We may end up running the Repair again, too, if this doesn't sort things out.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 November 2005 - 01:27 AM.

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi wannabe! Hope you had a great holiday! I ran the two things you said...I wasn't around to see the results tho. Still getting paging file, and msoe.dll file errors. And again, MS wants to install updates. I'm gonna go ahead and run those...N

NancyJane

NancyJane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
HOLY COW! Okay, just finished unsstalling Windows Service Pack 2, and lo and behold...I got Outlook Express! Woohoo! That's issue #1 resolved... But still getting the paging file error. Also, since all this began, my 'puter is VERY sluggish and I need to install my NAV. One step at a time, right? Let me know what you think I should do next. Thanks! - N

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....progress...I like progress. :tazz:

Let's try running a couple different online virus scans. I know ist sounds redundant, but they use different engines and tend to pick up on different things.

Panda Active Scan

TrendMicro Housecall

Let me know if either of these scans find anything...if they do find something, I'd loke to know what it is.

wannabe1