Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing new drives?

• Please log in to reply

neonlights

neonlights

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am attempting to connect 2 hard disks and 1 cd rom and 1 dvd rom to my computer. I have the hard drives set up as master and slave on IDE 0 and they are working fine. The cd rom drives are set up on IDE 2 they are powering on (opening etc..) but they are not registering as drives on windows XP. If you can offer me any help that would be great. When the computer loads it flicks to a screen which detects the cdrom drives but refers to them as non-raid (not enough drives to set up a raid configuration). :tazz:

I am using a Gigabyte 915PL series motherboard, running a P4 2.6, with a gefore 7800GT.

Thankyou for your help.

Advertisements

neonlights

neonlights

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
too add to this further in my bios i have:

standard CMOS features:
IDE Channel 0 Mater and Slave OK
IDE chanell 2 master and slave (no drives show here)

Integrated peripherals
X PATA IDE set to CH.0 Master and slave
SATA port 0/2 set to Ch.2 master and slave
SATA port 0/2 set to CH.3 master and slave

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The optical drives need to be set as master and slave too, or as cable select if you're using the IDE cable with the blue, grey and black connectors. You can also use cable select for the hard drives, if you're using the same kind of cable on them, which is generally the case.