Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Linux

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am a windows XP user but I am interested in trying linux. I have downloaded and plan to install Mandriva 2006, but I am worried that I will not be able to revert to my single-boot windows system from this setup. I have heard that removing the Linux partition(s) can leave the computer unbootable since the MBR get's confused. Can anyone advise how to safely remove Mandriva or another linux distro before I try to install it. I just want to be sure I can undo this. Thanks!

Advertisements

Jo Franklin

Jo Franklin

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If you want to try a Linux out, download the Knoppix liveCD.

Download a Windows XP boot floppy, that way if your MBR gets all screwed up you can reinstall the Windows Bottloader.

DXQ

DXQ

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Use the fdisk utility to re-write the MBR if you have installed Grub or Lilo to the MBR.

See MS doc: http://support.micro....com/kb/q69013/

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for the advice. I have tried Knoppix but it runs way too slowly. I have been advised that a HD boot will be much faster. Jo- how do I download a boot floppy for XP? That will have the fdisk utility on it for me to use?
Thanks again!

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
xp boot floppies don't have fdisk on them.

go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download the windows 98 boot disk. make sure you do not get the oem version. just the standard version.

Edited by Efwis, 19 November 2005 - 12:07 PM.

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
The MS Knowledgebase info says that using the Fdisk method can cause problems if you have more than 4 partitions on the hard drive. I have more than four, so what kind of problems can this cause? Is there anyway to backup my current MBR with partition info and restore it later? Thanks again!

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
what it can do is break access to the partitions for windows. Are these other partitions going to be related to Windows files or Linux files?

if you are using lilo as the boot loader for your linux install then this will work.

http://support.micro....com/kb/315224/

if you are using grub you have to use the fixmbr command.