Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reinstall XP Home

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Since my pc runs 98SE with no hassles, I am not familiar with XP Home. This week end I need to go over to the neighbors and see what help I can give them getting their Dell running again. They had removed AVG, probably didn't have the MS firewall installed, so they had lots of malware from what I understand in our telephone conversations. If it were my pc, I'd wipe the hard drive completely as a quick fix for getting rid of viruses, spyware etc. However I have never installed XP of any version, except using Ghost on another pc. If I just boot with their CD, will that just run through the setup doing a clean install? I read the XP repair item and that is what I think is correct. Will they need to call MS BEFORE the install for activation or is this done after a clean install? When and if I can get the XP installed, do I need to download the the SP2 update immediately in order to have a firewall in place before accessing the internet for other software downloads? (They're on cable). During an XP home install, will the setup give me an option to partition the drive?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try the repair option

You can use the XP CD to clear the drive, though if the XP CD is pre SP2 you will need to remove SP2 before it will run set up

You will get the option to partition

The XP firewall only blocks incoming data, most third party firewalls will block incoming and outgoing data when necessary

You could download AVG Free and Zone Alarm Free to disc then load it on their PC before you connect

Try to visit Microsoft Update to get the first update which includes the latest version of Windows Installer so that everything goes on through the same installer, there have been cases where different versions of the installer have caused inconvenience

Load older software before SP2 in case any of it has patches for SP1

Activation will be OK online as there has not been any change to the PC