Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing address book in MS Outlook

• Please log in to reply

psireci

psireci

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Recently i sent my laptop for a fan error and was advised that the was a problem with the hard disk and that it had to be replaced. I was advised that a new hard disk would be installed and that the computer would be restored to factory settings and everything on it would be wiped out and what every was on the old hard disk could be copied to the new laptop.

I have now been given the laptop back along with the old hard disk. I have managed to copy all my documents from the old hard disk using cables but am unable to find the addresses in microsoft Outlook 2002 - Contacts. I have tried to search for pst file but am coming with nothing.

Could someone please tell me how ican retrive my address book form the old hard disk as I am lost without my addresses.

I would also like to know if Microsoft Outlook stores contact information on the computer as oppose to the hard disk. If it stores on the computer, then would I be able to retrieve this info as the system has been restored back to factory settings.

Thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi psireci!

The following is taken directly from this site:

Backing up the Microsoft Outlook address book

1. Locate the file by using the Windows find tool. Click Start / Find / Files or Folders.
2. In the Named box type *.pab - ensure the Look in box is looking on the drive that Microsoft Outlook is located (usually the C: drive).
3. Click Find Now
4. This should locate the Microsoft Outlook address book, if present.
5. Once this file is located, copy the file to an alternate drive or backup media such as a Zip disk.

Backing up the Microsoft Outlook mail

1. Locate the file by using the Windows find tool. Click Start / Find / Files or Folders.
2. In the Named box type *.pst - ensure the Look in box is looking on the drive that Microsoft Outlook is located (usually the C: drive).
3. Click Find Now
4. This should locate the Microsoft Outlook mail file, if present. Generally, this file is mailbox.pst.
5. Once this file is located, copy the file to an alternate drive or backup media such as a Zip disk.

Backing up the Microsoft Outlook rules wizard files

2. In the Named box type *.rwz - ensure the Look in box is looking on the drive that Microsoft Outlook is located (usually the C: drive).
3. Click Find Now
4. This should locate the Microsoft Outlook rules file, if present. Generally, this file is rules.rwz.

Backing up the Microsoft Outlook signatures

Each of the Microsoft Outlook signatures you have are backed up as signature.txt, signature.rtf, and signature.htm, where 'signature' is the name of each of the signatures you have.

1. Locate the signature file by using the Windows find tool. For the name of the file type signature*.* where 'signature' is the name of one of your signatures. Usually these files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Signatures or similar directory.
2. Once you have located them, select each of the signatures you wish to backup and copy to your backup destination.

Fenor