Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont start up

• Please log in to reply

keres

keres

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
i turned my computer on and it went stariaght 2 options start in normal mode safe mode ect. i try and start in safe mode and nothing i try several times still nothing i press f8 for other options when i press one of the options and i get a blue screen which says

c0000218 registry file faliure
registry cannot load the hive (file)
systeroot\system32\config\sam

can someone plz help me im goin crazy think what can i do :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi keres!

There is a fix for it, but you need to have your XP CD to do it, because you need to enter the recovery console. Please follow the steps listed on this site to fix your problem and restore the defective registry hive with a backup.

Fenor

keres

keres

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi thx for the reply i do not have the xp disc for it coz it was preinstalled on computer when i bought it is there anyother way around it

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, you can download the Recovery Console image file HERE and burn it to a CD. If you don't know how to burn an iso image, choose RECORDER-->BURN IMAGE and select the RC.ISO file if you're using nero. If you're using a different burning software, then google for help on how to do it with that software.

You should then be able to boot to that CD and enter the recovery console and follow the steps stated on the link in my previous post.

Fenor

keres

keres

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hi thx for replyin i did what u told me and burned the file to a iso image but when i put disc in for the recovery 2 start nothing happened it still went to the options if i want 2 start in normal mode or safe mose am i doin anything wrong

Edited by keres, 19 November 2005 - 12:39 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You have to change the BOOT ORDER in your computer's BIOS to boot from the CD first before the Harddrive.

Fenor

keres

keres

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
sorri for being a pain how do i do that. do i press f3 2 get in bios mode

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Normal keys are F1, F2, F10 and DEL. Try hitting each of those as your computer is initially booting up. Also read on the screen while your computer is booting up. It most of the time says what key to press to enter SETUP, which is another name for the BIOS.

Fenor