Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disappering files

• Please log in to reply

dazedorconfused

dazedorconfused

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,

my my doucments foler in which I keep nearly all my others folders suddenly became almost empty yesterday. There must have been 50 folders and 1000's of files in it, which were all there one minute and then all but four folders and four documents were gone without trace. They appear to have been deleted, I can't find any trace of them in any other location or under any other names and they are not in the recycle bin.

I ahve checked for viruses (with AVG and spybot 1.3) and everything seems all clear.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is there anyone else in your home that might have deleted the files on you? Because files just don't disappear, unless your hard drive is crashing, but you would notice other oddities if that was the case. I would also check the RECYCLE BIN and make sure the files are not in there.

Fenor

dazedorconfused

dazedorconfused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no, nobody else used the computer during this period. It was online, but firewalled. Are there any viruses which could have done this? I don't see how it could be hardware related as it is too localised.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Like I said files don't just get deleted. You can try deleted file recovery tools by Googling for them. That may or may not help. Other then that, there isn't much more I can tell you. There are no viruses that delete specific files from the my documents folder but leave others intact. They either delete them all or none of them.

Fenor

dazedorconfused

dazedorconfused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hmm, are there any viruses which delete them all? The folders which remained were almost empty, but were alphabetically the last two folders in the sub-directory.

I've tried a file recovery programme but it didn't find any of the files I was looking for.

Thanks anyway