Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover lost WPS file

• Please log in to reply

zoira98

zoira98

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi!

Before saving a .wps (microsoft works) file, i got a message saying that the program had encountered a problem and needed to be shut down. The whole computer didnt shut down, just the program. When I opened it again, I was not prompted to get the lost file. It was a term paper, needless to say I was devastated. I went online and try two file recovery demos to atleast locate the file. Which I did successfully. But I cannot in any way understand how to safely recover, without damaging the file or my system. So, I saved the file location information, and unnistalled the programs (recover my files, and active@undelete).
I have the file information but have no idea how to recover it.
My system: Windoew Xp, Microsoft Works
File info: Documents and Settings/Local Setting/ Temp/ LEX49.tmp 37 bites
Please Help!
Thank you,
M

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Create a folder in my documents, use tune up undelete, look for the file type, choose show only files in good condition, restore to the new folder

zoira98

zoira98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The file didn't show up. It was never actually sent to the recyle bin (atleast not by me), it was lost. It ddin't show up with tune up is there anything else i can do? I even went back and tried to see if the "show only good conditions" was the problem ... but it didn't even show up as a bad file.
!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you also look for all file types in case it is listed as something else

If so, that is as much as tune up can do

There are other recovery tools, though anything you write to the drive could overwrite the data you need

zoira98

zoira98

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I wasn't able to find it that way. However, I did a simple search on my computer for the file type and date and I found the file. I just don't know how to open a tmp file.