Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh Start, New Stuff

• Please log in to reply

phylthy

phylthy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey everyone. I'm building my first computer in about a year i think, maybe more. I got kind of a modest set up, not bad at all though. :tazz: It's a 2600 sempron, 512 ddr 400, nforce 2 nf7 and a 5600 fx vid, but what i wanna know it, my computers always ran fine for a while and then got infected and screwed up some how or another. I won't be the only one using this comptuer, my gf will be using it too, and probably my roomate from time to time. These things get messed up just me using them, and i really dont' trust these two on my new one, if they screw up couterstrike for me, they could quite possibly be killed lol. So my question is this, what should i install first after winxp pro is finished. First of all which drivers, and then whats teh best kind of protection i can possibly put on this baby so that nobody but me can change system settings, so that the spyware and adware stays the f away from me, and i can stay as virus free as computerly possible. Thanks for any suggestions.

phil

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
ok, one thing, set up their accoutn to not have admin access, and make the admin accoutnt hat win XP Pro makes, the only admin account, and don't use the admin accoutn in less you need ot install somehting, and even make your accoutn a client account, otherwise, the spyware and adware can installit self, with out admin access, spy ware can't install itself, lol, so, do that an dyou should be ok, but make sur eyou get norten or some other anti-virus protection