Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD ROM BURNING PROBLEM(CD-R,CD-RW)

• Please log in to reply

RaNeN

RaNeN

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello,
Whenever i write files on to a cd 90% of these cds do not work/run.These cds are mostly mp3 or VCD.What could be the problem?

I run the DATA VERIFICATION option given by NERO.It says data verification failed.
Some times the cd completes the burn process and then at the last moment it says "WRITE ERROR".

Could somebody please help me?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bad media is generally a good reason, depending on how old the CD player is. Some Cd-burners just don't like some kinds of CDs and sometimes you get a bad batch of CDs.

Burn at a slower speed (8x or lower) and see if it makes a difference.

Your cd-burner laser could be slowly dying (again, how old).

The insides of the CD-burner could be dirty.

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
My comp is about 6 months old.I am trying to burn a .avi file into a cd.making the cd a data cd as.As i cant make it a VCD because it is more than 80 mins (118min).Also as it is in .avi format for NERO to convert it to vcd and then write it to the cd it will take a lot more space.The file i am trying to write is 670MB.Please help

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
670Mb is above the standard disk allocation size for a CD, which is capped out at 650Mb but most modern drives should be able to wotk with a 700Mb disk.

It may just well be that your drive doesn't like the media you're throwing at it. Even in this day and age not all drives get on with all media, especially some cheaper media doesn't always work in all drives.

Try some various brands of disks if you can, find out what the drive likes and what it doesn't like.

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have burnt CD with exact 700MB earlier and i had no problem.This problem has just started recently.It mostly happens in RE-WRITABLE CD's.It also happens in writable CD's.But mostly in RE-WRITABLE CD's.I used to burn the CD's in 48X.But now i have decreased the speed to 40X.What else can i try?????What else should i do for proper and successful burns

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried burning the cds with different sotware?

try downloading cdburnerxp pro...it's a free burning tool....if it burns fine with that software...then i suspect a software issue

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Where can I download it from?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
google it...i don't have the link handy...but it's easy to find

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
GOT IT!!!

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
But, still the same problem.I tried writing the movie which is around 670MB in avi format it did write but could not play it.Then i wrote another movie in DAT format which plays.But it took abt 1 min to open in Windows Media Player.What do you think the problem is?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it doesn't make sense that your computer wouldn't be able to play the avi that you just burned to a disk (or are you trying to play it in a dvd player?)

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ON the damned computer.

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Also i noticed one thing while burning the avi file with the cdburnerxp pro.It wrote the file on the cd within 27 sec exact.But when i burnt the dat file it took 7 mins.

RaNeN

RaNeN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No more help available?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the cd's that you got the file to burn onto.....can you actually coopy the file over to your desktop and have it play there?