Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Cannot change my desktop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A couple of days my desktop picture is frozen in place, right click go to properties desktop the option to change the background is grey out, can go to themes change it but the background remains the same (blue bubbles).

Ok I have gone to microsoft website check the knowledge base found a solution about services.msc follow instructions but it will not work, restart the computer in safe mode try change settings and run a full virus scan, check registry values, done searches in google to find solution but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
there is a group policy that governs the ability to change your desktop (prevent or allow).

It is very common for a couple of malware infections to lock you out of the ability to change your desktop.

Start > Run> Regedit

navigate to

If you have Wallpaper listed in the right pane, either change its data value or delete it.

Also navigate here:

if there is a value in the right that says
NoChangingWallPaper, delete it

Also navigate to

Anything there.

As always, take GREAT CARE (back it up) when editing the registry...if you do not feel comfortable doing this, then STOP and ask for help.