Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Space

• Please log in to reply

Intervale

Intervale

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The expression user interface problem was meant for me. I think I have a 80 GB hard drive (?) but when I tried to load a software program onto the c drive it says I only have 4GB with only 284 mB left and I hardly have any thing in my c drive.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Ok, you say you have an 80Gb but it only says 4GB, you dont have linux installed??? Well, it is possible that when you loaded your computer, you partitioned your drive, one for 4GB and the other 76GB, the 76GB possibly hasnt been chosen yet, you can try put in your Windows install disk, and then when the part come where it asks for "Formating and partitioning" partion you 76GB, so that it can become available. Cool, thanks.

Intervale

Intervale

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
We can try this, but if we do will we lose the other stuff on our hard drive?

We really know very little about computers!

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This WONT delete your harddrive.

Most harddrives these days are partitioned into two parts: Windows (which you use) and BACKUP.

Lets say you have an 80gig harddrive, then 4gigs might be used for Backup and 76gigs for Windows and whatever you want to add to your harddrive.

However, thats just one way to partition (using one partition as a backup), you can also partition the harddrive into, lets say, 10 gigs to run Linux on it, and 70 gigs to run Windows.

Then you can use a LINUX system/computer essentially AND a Windows system/computer basically... its just you choose one when you are starting up your computer "i want to use Linux this time" or "windows", you know?

So maybe you accidently partititioned your harddrive so that you have a 4 gig partition with Windows on it -- and, who knows, maybe nothing on the other 76.

A partition is kind of like building a wall through a country to separate one side from another. Whatever you do on one side wont affect the other. You wont be able to see the other side either.

So you need to see if your harddrive is partitioned. Then format the 76 gig side if its there. And start using it instead. Now, you can transfer via discs, etc, info from the 4 gig side to the 76 gig side (im assuming youll be able to figure it out eventually).

But the only way youll find out is if you put in your Windows Restoration Disk and try to "reinstall Windows" -- only DONT reinstall Windows. Just use the Partition options. And look at what it says. If it says theres only one partition and that it has 80gigs, then you should probably reformat Windows, becuase your computer is being screwy. But if it says two partitions, one 5 gigs or so, and one 75 gigs or so, then you should choose the options that will let you use the 75 gig side.

Thats the simplest way i can explain it.

Loading... ..