Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bootdisk help

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you still have the A:\ prompt, type C:, press "Enter", and tell me what happens.

Advertisements

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
says no fixed disk present

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...are both of your machines desktops? We're gonna have to get serious with this thing. :tazz:

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yes they are desktops, one is a p4 2 ghz xp that is this one the other
is celeron 500 mhz win 98 thats the one with problems

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
do you find the chat room faster?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How about we do this, but tomorrow (this old guy's gotta get some beauty rest)...let's pull the harddrive out of the 98 machine, jumper it as a slave, and use the XP machine to format it. Then we can put it back in the 98 machine and install the operating system on it.

I don't know why the startup disk isn't seeing that drive, but we're getting nowhere fast with the usual technique. Time to pull out the stops and beat it into submission.... :) AND...you won't have to be crawling in and out from under the desk... :tazz:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2005 - 02:38 AM.

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I'm going to buy a power cord tomorrow so i can eliminate half my problem, what time can i find you on here?
Thanks for your time you've given alot of it to me and i apprieciate it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've got some things to do in the morning, but should be on by noon my time. What time zone are you in?

Chat is sometimes a little quicker, but it's easier to put long instructions in a post...I thought we were going to format a drive....

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2005 - 02:45 AM.

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Eastern its 3:45 here

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ouch!!! You are determined, aren't you. I'm in the mountain time zone so it will be 1:00PM your time at least and probably closer to 2:00PM before I get back to you. That good for you?

The time I spend helping folks here at Geeks is rewarding to me in ways even I don't understand...I just enjoy helping!

wannabe1

Advertisements

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yup
i am on night shif and normaly up till 6 am i will be here all day, so I will be on around 2 pm my time see ya then.
Thanks again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you feel ambitious, you could pull the drive...write down the make and model number, and have it ready...we'll have to figure out the jumper settings and may have to download some utilities to format it with XP. It will be a lot easier, though.

See ya then.

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi method_13...

Are we ready to rock and roll?

wannabe1

method 13

method 13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
the make is Maxtor
model number 91021U2
HDA PCBA
Unique 13A
Code Fa520660
let me know when your in
method

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take a look at This Site. Is this what the back of your drive looks like? If it is, remove the jumper (don't lose it) to configure it as the slave. Connect the drive to the center ribbon connector (Same one that the other HDD is hooked to) in the XP machine and connect a power connector to it. Make sure the machine is off and unplugged before doing this. Once you have the HDD in and the machine going again, post back and we'll get started.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2005 - 05:00 PM.