Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Problems

• Please log in to reply

temp850

temp850

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi all,

I've been working hard on this one for hours and hours but still can't resolve it. Its been a headache issue for sure. I've tried looking at the search feature here but have found nothing to help thus far.

I've been using the Microsoft Help document here:

http://support.micro....com/kb/818018/

and thus far nothing has helped but I did notice when I enter the "Register DLLs" in the run command,

a. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll
b. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll
c. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll
d. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
e. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll
f. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll
g. regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll

that they all suceeded except for "c." above, this one..."regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll" which registered as failed.

I'm running ZoneAlarm Pro suite, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware SE Personal with the latest updates and nothing untoward has shown up. I update regulary via Windows Update and all has worked fine until now. I haven't updated to SP2 though but all other updates have been working fine for the last two years until now. I have noticed under add/remove programs that somehow I have a Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q819 696, which makes me ask why would I have that hotfix if it seems its only intended for SP2? This could be the problem but I am unsure whether to delete it via add/remove until I am sure...

I've also cleared the IE cache and temp files and history and added Windows Update sites to my safe sites etc and all other update downloads are fine, eg: ZoneAlarm Suite etc. It might be a prob with a corrupted update file in Windows update on my computer. I do turn off my ZoneAlarm firewall and antivirus too when checking for updates.

Any help will be much appreciated and I am more than happy to use my gained knowledge to help others at a later time.

Thanks so much in advance!

LP - Blue Mountains, 60 miles west of Sydney, Australia.

Edited by temp850, 19 November 2005 - 09:32 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, click view downloaded programme files, remove the Windows Update controls, confirm

Click start then run, type prefetch, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete of all, reboot, go to windows update

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for that. I followed those instructions and everything went well as usual until I went to download the updates and then I got, "Updates Were Unable to Be Successfully Installed".

The download doesn't start at all. I just get the download screen but nothing happening. I recently changed ISP's but I have no proxies or anything from the old provider...

There is a MSoft Update controls file too I think, in Disk Clean Up. should I delete that too and try again?

Edited by temp850, 19 November 2005 - 09:59 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Delete anything to do with update from downloaded files

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sadly none of the above has helped at all. I just don't know what to do with this one and it seems nothing can resolve it thus far...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Method 1: Verify that the services are started
Make sure that BITS and the Automatic Updates service are started. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.

2. In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.

4. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

5. Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.

6. In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.

7. If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

Method 2: One or both of the services do not appear in the Services Control Manager
If the Automatic Updates service or the Background Intelligent Transfer Service does not appear in the Services Control Manager, reinstall that service or those services. To do this, use one or both of the following methods, depending on your situation:

The Automatic Updates service is missing

To reinstall the Automatic Updates service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\au.inf

2. If you are prompted to insert your operating system CD, type the following path in the Copy files from box, and then click OK:

%windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386

Note This location contains the most recently updated service pack files. If you cannot use this path to copy the required files from, insert your operating system CD, and then click OK.

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service is missing

To reinstall the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf

2. If you are prompted to insert your operating system CD, type the following path in the Copy files from box, and then click OK:

%windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386

Note This location contains the most recently updated service pack files. If you cannot use this path to copy the required files from, insert your operating system CD, and then click OK.

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, both those services are there and I followed the procedures you mentioned to make sure they are set up correctly. The settings are as you they should be.

I also tried to type in the commands you mentioned but the first one didn't respond, I typed it many times just to make sure there were no typos but to no avail. The second command came up and asked me to insert a command to find the BITS service I think on the install CD, which I haven't done as yet. But if both of these Windows Update services are on my computer, I just dont understand why they don't work.

I'm not sure quite what to do if I just want to re-install them off the XP cd...

Edited by temp850, 19 November 2005 - 11:28 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would re-install BITS if it has asked for it from the CD

If you type the correct line into the copy files from box, it should go through, then you can reboot and try updates

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks Keith, I will do that a little later on after I have come back from the psychiatric unit! :tazz: I've spent about 12 hours of my weekend trying to resolve this one and my brain has turned to jelly...

I appreciate your help indeed.

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
When I type the BITS command into 'run' it tells me that the file qmgr.dll is needed but when I type in the command you suggest to find it and press ok, nothing happens. I don't know how to find it on the install CD.

sorry...

Advertisements

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well, at least I have been able to get an error code this time from Windows Update:

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x80246008
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting updates)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open the CD ROM Drive used to install Windows, insert the XP CD but leave the drawer open. Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter and close the CD ROM Drive drawer. You will get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot. This will check for and replace missing or corrupt system files.

You can check for an improvement after running sfc /scannow then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, all the files in the folder will now be highlighted, right click any file, click delete, a box will appear asking if you want to delete all the files, confirm the delete then reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

The next steps are optional

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, open Tune Up, click optimize and improve, system optiomization to run, optimize the computer configuration, which needs a reboot

If you use accelerate downloads in system optimization, select the speed which is just above your actual line speed

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Keith and all,

Well, I am glad that I didn't rush into anything too drastic with my windows update problem. It seems like it could well be a javascript error in IE. My version of IE is: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.050301-1526. I've noticed when I click on some other links (ie: 'more info' links for the updates etc) in the Windows Update site, I either get a javascript error code or no response at all.

I don't have an option, that I can see (add/remove doesn't support it), in Window XP HE SP1 to fix IE and am wondering how I untinstall it and re-install a better version or can I just install the javascript program again? I may not bother at this stage anyway.

You see, I've also found a site at Microsoft where you can manually install updates which is good for me as my usual Windows Update site still tells me what updates I need via the automated method and then I can find these patches on the manual update site, as I can't download them from the automated site for the reasons stated in my original post. This is definitely a better work around from what I can see than repairing XP etc.

Any more ideas on the abovementioned errors with javascript in IE would be much appreciated. :tazz:

LP

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
sfc /scannow will check and replace system files

Have you got SP2

in Window XP HE SP1 to fix IE

temp850

temp850

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Nah, as I mentioned in my first post, I haven't update to SP2 and am unsure of its benefits as I have a very good firewall and antivirus and antispyware software.

I did that scan you mentioned yesterday but it didn't seem to fix my javascript issue in IE and then I was also prompted to enter my Windows XP ID code or whatever its called. There was a quick prompt that only seemed to last for a few seconds when I did that scan, at the end of it and then it went straight back to reboot and all was well exept for the Windows Update issue. Since I have found a work around for that via the manual updating process, the problem isn't so bad now. In general, my two year old XP Home machine runs very well ,without crashes.

Edited by temp850, 20 November 2005 - 11:35 PM.