Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

maxtor oem HD and running in circles

• Please log in to reply

sevenfold

sevenfold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Me:
I went on the maxtor site to find out the status of my maxline plus II hard drive. I put in the serial number which brough me to a page that should have displayed the expiration date but instead, the box in which it should have been was left blank. My hard drive is currently broken and i have obtained an RMA but i am unable to get to the proper screen to request a replacement. My hard drive was manufactured in january of 2005, which by most company's standards, should still be covered. I bought this hard drive as an OEM, standalone and after one month of use, it fried on me, along with all of the data. Please let me know how i can replace my broken hard drive. Thank you.

Response:
Thank you for sending your MAXTOR E-mail inquiry.

The serial number you provided, -------- is for a Compaq OEM drive. Therefore, I suggest contacting Compaq to get this drive replaced.

(i have searched high and low and nowhere does compaq say they make hard drives, nor could i contact them about it)

any suggestions!?!?!?

thanks in advance

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You bought an OEM (Other Equipment Manufacturer) not a retail version. That means Maxtor sold it to Compac who then sold it to you. Many times OEMs are cheaper because they do not have warranties, customer support or other benefits of a full priced version.

What makes you think that your hd is bad?

Johanna

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://h20180.www2.h...-2&h_page=hpcom

or here

http://www.hp.com/hp...hurd/index.html

sevenfold

sevenfold

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i ran the maxtor diagnostic program that i got off the maxtor site, and it said that my hard drive has failed and is corrrupt, contact maxtor etc with this rma number