Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

anti-virus error (help pls!)

• Please log in to reply

tektite

tektite

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hello,

This is what happened. i am using a free version antivir anti-virus software. i was playing an mp3 using winamp while opening antivir. antivir always performs system tests before it opens. so, while doing the system tests it detected a worm, trojan (?) from the mp3 i was playing. it asked me to delete this thing and i did. without even rally reading what it is making me delete. i only know that i lost rundll32.exe coz my pc gave a pop-up message that tells me so. this message appears everytime i access control panel. so i downloaded one from meijin.org and my control panel worked. anyway, after that i tried playing my mp3 using winamp but it says, "can't find winamp.exe" i downloaded one. i think that i downloaded an older version for i get error message that says "a fault occured at ........" so i tried removing winamp then installed winamp lite. i was using winamp pro 5.0 then. after installing winamp lite, i still can't play any mp3s. my mp3 worked with real player though. winamp won't open also. i double click it and nothing happens. now, with my other problem. my windows media player 9 is not working. i checked and it has "wmplayer.exe". i can't open any video or audio files. be it .wmv or .mpg. i double-click on the vid file. windows media player opens but that's it. no sound or pic. and then when i press ctrl-alt-del it says not responding. same with real player. it can't play .mpg anymore. also says not responding after a while. i notice also that i can't use yahoo messenger anymore. it freezes whenever i enter a chat room but works ok when i just pm someone in my contacts list. it also says not responding after a while. also my limewire software won't open too. i double-click and nothing happens. i am saying because my dial-up dialer won't open at first too. but rundll32.exe solved the problem. pics, word documents are ok though. plus i often get the message "windows has become unstable" you know, the one you see when the screen becomes blue. and lastly i ran stinger by mccaffe;a worm/ trojan remover(i already did this and still have the problems i mentioned) and here is what it found: W32/Bagle.n virus. it says that it has reapired this though. thanks for reading and i really hope thet you help me. please!!!!! btw, all this happened only after i ran my anti-virus.

thanks again.

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
You could try restoring your registry to a date prior to the problem.

Bootup and constantly tap f8 to take you to Startup menu.

Select Command Prompt only.

At command prompt type in scanreg /restore (note the space) select a date prior to your problem if there is one. (don't select the oldest)

You will not lose any files.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello tektite and welcome to Geeks to go!

What version of Windows are you using?
What Anti-virus software are you using?
Is it up to date? If not update it and run a scan.
Do you have any Anti-spyware software installed?

tektite

tektite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey, thanks for replying. i am using windows 98 SE. i am using AntiVir antivirus. the free one. it's not updated. i tried updating it once but it didn't work. it loaded the new definitions and then it just stopped working normally. i have Ad-aware anti-spyware installed, just the free one though. i already downloaded a new anti-virus software, AVG-grisoft.

What version of Windows are you using?
What Anti-virus software are you using?
Is it up to date? If not update it and run a scan.
Do you have any Anti-spyware software installed?
[/quote]

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Install AVG, update it and run it.
Also update and run Ad-Aware.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 20 November 2005 - 11:06 AM.

tektite

tektite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i ran ad-aware and AVG. it is still not working. i also did what 1069 said. still didn't work. one thing, my internet explorer is also not working. it opens but suddenly freezes and becomes "not responding". my other browser, mozilla firefox works fine though. it is the one i'm using now. i seem to hace gotten rid of the virus. i think that this has something to do with what my previous antivirus made me delete. :tazz: because previously, my antivir made me delete rundll32.exe. i didn't know till i tried opening control panel. my dialer didn't open too before i downloaded rundll32.exe. it only opened after i downloaded it. so, i think that it has something to with this nature. :)

Install AVG, update it and run it.
Also update and run Ad-Aware.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Have you tried reinstalling WMP9 and Winamp.

tektite

tektite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i tried re-installing winamp lite. didn't work. it won't even open. i double click it, my mouse pointer changes then that's it. nothing appears after that. i haven't tried reinstalling wmp9. i was wondering though, my real player plays mp3 but can't play .mpg files anymore. it freezes everytime i try to play a movie file. my pc often becomes "busy". this happens when i press ctrl-alt-del whenever ie, wmp9 or real player freezes. the message box appears and says "not responding". after this it still won't close so i press ctrl-alt-del again. then the "system busy(blue screen)" message appears. also whenever i start to shut down it always says "program busy" and asks me to "wait","end" or "cancel". i can't even use internet explorer anymore. it always freezes. but mozilla firefox works fine. so i'm thinking my windows program ie, winamp, wmp don't work. my real player still works somehow. please be patient with me. i know it's taking me quite a long time to fix this problem. thanks again

Have you tried reinstalling WMP9 and Winamp.