Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sp2

• Please log in to reply

bigdan

bigdan

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
im trying to install cable internet at my university, and to get access to resnet here it says i need to install window's sp2. it gave a few probs at first over not having enough space, but the last error i got said something about windows not being properly registered or whatnot. i bought the computer from someone with windows already on it so dont really know if it was a registered copy. now i dont know if windows really needs to be properly registered or am i misunderstanding the message? furthermore if it does indeed need a proper serial number does this mean i need to reinstall? will this change anything like my settings, the files on my desktop, anythig? or how about the fact that im installed windows again, this time froma different cd? can anyone advise?

thanks
dan

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi bigdan!

Looks to me like your problem may be because you don't have a legal version of windows xp installed. Lets make certain of this. Go to this site and click on the link that says Windows Validation Assistant. One the next screen, click the Validate Now button. It will then tell you on the next screen whether or not your windows product key appears valid or not.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 20 November 2005 - 07:28 AM.

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Hi bigdan!

Looks to me like your problem may be because you don't have a legal version of windows xp installed. Lets make certain of this. Go to this site and click on the link that says Windows Validation Assistant. One the next screen, click the Validate Now button. It will then tell you on the next screen whether or not your windows product key appears valid or not.

Fenor

thansk for the reply fenor. im not on my computer right now, ill try it when i get back. doubt itll work though because i dont have proper internet acecss, thats the problem! all this is so that i can get the access to resnet. i have access to the sites on my university's page that give instructions on how to get back on, and i somehow have access to download sp2 but besides that im quite restricted. someone mentioned smth about microsoft's antispyware, ive had that on my computer for months and it works fine, is that any indication of anythjing?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you referred to it not being 'properly registered,' do you mean it's not activated? That would cause SP2 to not install.

Fenor

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

When you referred to it not being 'properly registered,' do you mean it's not activated? That would cause SP2 to not install.

Fenor

[shooot when i reply without being logged in it erases my whole message. OUCH]

i dont think i personally said it wasnt registered, thats the error message the computer was giving me. im not quite sure the exact message because i cant access the net including this forum from there. but it was something along those lines. i got in touch with my friend who sold this computer to me and he said i prolly do have an unauthoriozed copy of windows.

so now what are my options? do i really need to buy windows now? and if i do, do i need to reinstall it or can i just use the serial? it would be a real pain to install it again.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

i dont think i personally said it wasnt registered, thats the error message the computer was giving me. im not quite sure the exact message because i cant access the net including this forum from there. but it was something along those lines. i got in touch with my friend who sold this computer to me and he said i prolly do have an unauthoriozed copy of windows.

so now what are my options? do i really need to buy windows now? and if i do, do i need to reinstall it or can i just use the serial? it would be a real pain to install it again.

No, you won't need to reinstall windows after you buy a legal verison of windows. All you will need to do is change the product key. This SITE from the microsoft website tells you how you can change the Windows XP product key.

Fenor

bigdan

bigdan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
thanks, fenor! appreciate it.