Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hard drive, new problems,sigh......

• Please log in to reply

tuscan440

tuscan440

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
bought a second hand hard drive that had been refurbished off ebay, (from a power seller) had it installed as slave drive everything seemed fine but when i try and access any data on it it takes a long time to load up and certain media files like some music and videos just wont play staraight, they jerk or just stop all together, often freezing my comp!!!
i have tried moving the jerky files to master drive and they work fine there so what does this mean??? is my hard drvie set up wrong or just bust, or is there an incompatability??

both drives are 80gb maxtor 7200rpm hard drives

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. You could try running the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive. There is a sticky post at the top of this forum that has links to most manufacturer/s diagnostics: http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=40

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you reformat the drive before you started to use it?

tuscan440

tuscan440

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
yeh i reformatted it, all seemed fine until i try and play media files, trying to transfer 4000 back to master drive but because it is so slow and keeps freezing its taking time, gona run the hard drive diagnostic as soon as that is done