Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer goes to safe mode or shuts down!

• Please log in to reply

dan7brit

dan7brit

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi

I have a slight problem with my XP program. It keeps going to safe mode (even though I click normal mode) or says it is shutting down.

I am running XP pro on a DEll computer 512mb RAM and a 120GB HDD. Both have sufficent memory and storage capacity left.

The steps I have taken are:

Deletion of some games that have been downloaded from the internet

Run spybot (malware found and dealt with)

Disc clean-up

De-frag run (has not been done for about a year!)

At the moment the only thing I have not done is run Norton anti-virus. However, I have the 2003 internet suite on my computer (with anti-virus and firewall). Previously I have run this but the licence run out about 6 months ago so I have not updated as of yet.

I have deleted the Norton internet suite (from add-remove programs) and tried to load a newer version. BUt for some reason it will not load (it will load on a friends computer)?? As such I have been using the XP firewall for the internet.

Sorry for the ramble but I guess I have two questions:

What else could I do to stop XP going to safe mode or shutting down?

Why will the newer Norton internet suite not load?

Many Thanks

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Try running CHKDSK from here: My Computer, right-click the drive, Properties, Tools, Check Now..., (Select both options), Start.

"As such I have been using the XP firewall for the internet". If you do not have an up-to-date AV you are asking for trouble. You need a good AV even if you are on the net for a short period - If Norton will not load try AVG(free) from here - it is very good - http://free.grisoft....2/lng/us/tpl/v5 (scroll down)

Edited by 1069, 20 November 2005 - 08:50 AM.

dan7brit

dan7brit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks :tazz: I realise that being on the internet without an AV is dangerous, so that is why I need to install my new Norton internet suite. I am still having trouble with logging on though with the same problems as before? Need some suggestions as to what to do.

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Did you manage to run CHKDSK?

If CHKDSK didn't work for you try system restore. ( depends how long you have had the problem - there may be a restore point prior to the date your problem started).

http://www.pcstats.c...eid=1643&page=3

http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q306084