Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP home install error

• Please log in to reply

Jo Franklin

Jo Franklin

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
My desktop is running at a snails pace, I've been using it to experiment with and now I've finished my experiments it's in an absolute mess, riddled with viruses, spyware and god knows what else. I want to re-format it and re-install Windows XP home (I operate a dual boot with Linux, I want that removed also), however, when I boot from the XP home CD provided by Dell (I have used it to re-install Windows on this PC many, many times!) it gives me the following error message...

On a BSOD... (Yes, I have looked on the BSOD fix list, doesn't seem applicable)
STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

ntdll.dll is in the System32 folder on the C: drive, and appears to be fine.

On inspecting the CD, there's a very small scratch near the edge... but when exploring it using Windows Explorer, I can see ntdll.dll.

The ntdll.dll on the cd is 645KB, and the one on the hard drive is 691KB. I can't overwrite either.

I've checked the error on the MS error database, and the advice it goves is to reinstall Windows... helpful!

I think that when I boot the XP CD it sees that there is XP installed on the computer, and proceeds to boot to XP (the last message before the error is "Setup is loading Windows". How can I force it to start re-installation?

Edited by Jo Franklin, 20 November 2005 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Easiest thing to do would be to format the hard drive then use your recovery CD.

Jo Franklin

Jo Franklin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
But what if it's the recovery CD which is broken... I'll be completely stuck then.

I guess if that happens my family will just have to switch to SUSE 10... or use my laptop.

Is there any way of checking the CD?

Edited by Jo Franklin, 20 November 2005 - 10:00 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
You might want to try CD/DVD diagnostic
If it turned out to be the CD you could order a replacement recovery disk from the manufacturer.

Jo Franklin

Jo Franklin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Took the plunge and re-formatted the computer. All working great now thanks :tazz:

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Glad I could help!