Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access denied to one of two networked PCs

• Please log in to reply

MountainDawg

MountainDawg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a two-computer network. I can view both computers in the workgroup but can only access shared files from Comp 2.

When I try to open or explore Comp 1 from Comp 2, I get a message that says Comp 1 "is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this netowrk resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

Here is my basic set up:

Both PCs are connected to a Linksys BEFSX41 router, are set with DHCP and are able to connect to the internet.

Comp 1 is connected to a Netopia external DSL modem, has Win XP Home, a Broadcom 440x Integrated 10/100 adapter and McAfee Security Center.

Comp 2 has Win XP Pro, a Realtek RTL 8139 adapter with Norton System Works 2002 and Sypbot Search and Destroy installed.

I've disabled the firewalls but still couldn't get it to work. Thank you in advance for any help.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello MountainDawg and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correctly setting up your File and Print Share Home Network.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on all PC's being connected to the File and Print Share network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What are the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless / Wired Adapter's currently Installed on all PC's being Included in this Network?

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using? ALREADY ANSWERED

4) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic) ALREADY ANSWERED

5) What antivirus programs do you have running?

6) What firewalls do you have running?

7) What pop-up blockers, Ad Blockers, and Malware detectors do you have running?

8) What steps have you already taken to try and implement the File and Print Share Ability for your network?
ALREADY ANSWERED

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-8 THOROUGHLY, TO HELP ME BETTER PROVIDE
YOU WITH A WALKTHROUGH ON HOW TO SETUP YOUR FILE SHARE NETWORK.

I KNOW YOU HAVE ALREADY ANSWERED SOME OF THE ABOVE QUESTIONS BUT IT IS A QUESTIONARE THAT HAS TO BE ANSWERED FULLY :)

After you answer the questionare post your answers in a reply, then move on to the second part of this reply that will cover some basic troubleshooting steps to help resolve your problem.

TO BE DONE ON ALL PC'S ON THE NETWORK - Disabling all active processes for Selective startup troubleshooting:

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in... msconfig
4. when the System Configuration Utility appears click on the SERVICES tab
5. Check the HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES box
6. Copy down which boxes have a check in them so you can them restore back later
7. Click on the DISABLE ALL Button
8. Click on the STARTUP Tab
9. Copy down which boxes have a check in them so you can them restore back later
10. Click on the DISABLE ALL Button
11. Click on the APPLY Button
12. Click on the OK Button
13. Click on the RESTART Button
14. When the PC restarts check the Selective startup notification box and click on the OK button
15. If you are Able to share Files then repeat the steps 1 through 4 and step 8 and turn back on each process one by one until you lose the share ability. When you do lose the share ability then you will know which process is blocking the share.

If you are still unable to share, then leave the selective startup active and move on to the next step of troubleshooting.

1. Complete the Network setup wizard for each computer.
2. Check for file share again.

If still unable post back and let me know.