Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new build screen freeze

• Please log in to reply

deudonne

deudonne

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Im getting a seemingly random screen freeze and have to reboot.

In event manager:
application= wmi adapter error
system= DCOM error

HiJack This log: (first time i've used this, Ive seen others request it before help)

(removed)

Hope thats helpful.
Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Deudonne

Edited by deudonne, 20 November 2005 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
The staff members are going to tell you to post your HiJackThis log in the HiJackThis log forum section. So copy the post and go to the other forum.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
oops..
thanks.. and sorry

K. Prophett

K. Prophett

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
No prob, I understand. I was new here too before... :tazz:

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
im now running clean up, adaware etc as suggested in the instructions. Look out me in the hijack forum.

Cheerz!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi deudonne...

Actually, I don't see anything in the HJT log that would cause the problem you describe...would you please edit it out of your post to prevent it from being "Googled"...

Please download Everest Home Edition, install it, run it using the "Report" icon, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread. This will give us the system information we need to troubleshoot this issue.

Also download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.26 link), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Pay particular attention to the voltages...a fluctuation of as little as .5v (even less for the 1.5v leg) is enough to cause system and application hangs...and post the low temperatures you see (at start up) and the temperatures you see after the machine has run for a while...somewhere near the time of a hang would be terrific.

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
right - cheers for swift replies here - i realsie i was in wrong section and i have also posted hijack log in other section - should i remove that too?

since posting last i have removed my second ram stick (512) under suspicions - leaving me with 256. So far i have had no hang, and i thought it had solved it - however still getting worrying errors in event viewer - wmiadapter and DCOM

anyway - will post everst log (a program i already had, but i didnt know it did that!) - what is best way to post it?

Also I cant find speed fan 4.26 - (only 4.27) where is link and is it more appropriate than the updated one?

Thanks ever so much!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

It won't hurt to leave the HJT log in the Malware Forum, but I don't think they'll find anything in there...of course, they're the experts!

The Speed Fan page has been updated since I was there last...sorry abot that! :tazz:

The new link is Speed Fan 4.27 (the blue link in the second paragraph) just as you stated.

With Everest, run it using the "Report" icon on the top toolbar, choose "All Pages" and then "HTML". Attach a log to this thread using the "Browse" and "Add This Attachment" buttons below the text input box here.

The memory could be the problem, but I'd like a peek at the Everest log and would like you to monitor the temperatures and voltages for a bit...

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Here is the log without the 512 stick in. Ive ordered two new 512 ddr400 sticks anyway to arrive friday.
will post speed fan results when i can. I also have asus probe - is that helpful??

Thanx a mil.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

I have your log and will review it.

Your Event error is a memory leakage problem...You can use Task Manager to help identify the application or process which is using up the memory. Open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and then click Processes tab. Make sure the following columns are displayed: CPU, CPU Time, Mem Usage and Peak Mem Usage. If not, click "View" then "Select Columns" and tick them. In "Options", tick all 4 options. Click twice on the "Mem Usage" column to sort by descending memory usage so that the process using the most memory is at the top and can be easily monitored. By watching the processes every 10 minutes or so you should get an idea of which process is using up the memory.

On the "Performance" tab, watch the "Available physical memory" - does it get very low? In the "Commit Charge (physical memory + page file)" area, does the Total get near the Limit?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 November 2005 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
brilliant - this is just the stuff ive been trying to find out how to do for ages!

will observe memory usage.
I was getting virtual memory low warnings - about three times in last few weeks. Tried setting virtual mem a bit higher - but then i still got a warning afterwards -- is this related?

available mem does seem low - will this improve with more RAM or is this leakage another problem? I have had a battle building this computer (my first one), but i feel im nearly there - just need to sort this out.

lastly - how do i set speed fan to monitor over time? if its too difficult to explain quickly i'll keep reading help and try to work it out.

I am new to this, but learning quickly, thanks to people like you.
Cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

With Speed Fan, you can use the Chart feature to graph the pemperature, but I've found that configuring it to display Temp 2 in the system tray is the best way to monitor that. I'm not as concerned with the voltages at this point.

Your available memory will improve when you put the RAM back in. For the Paging File (Virtual Memory), you should set it so that the system takes care of it.

Keep your eye on memory usage to try and determine which application or process is hogging your memory.

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
svchost.exe. is 18,000+K memuseage 29,000 total and is top at the moment followed by a few iexplore.exe around 15K/21K

speed fan, fan 2 never goes over 30 dgrees usually around 27. I have two case fans as well as processor fan, but fan 3 does not register on speedfan.

i'm worried about this memory leakage thing. It takes a LONG time to start up all icons in system tray after reboot - but that has only really happened since i took out the 512 stick. No screen freeze/hang as of yet, but errors in event log and i would like to find out more about memory leak before i get the new 1gb ram.

any ideas?

cheers!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi deudonne...

Click Start then Run then type msconfig ...click "Ok". Click on the "Startup" tab. Post a list of all checked items in the list.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 November 2005 - 02:06 PM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
ok - will do. Its gonna take a while tho coz cant copy+paste.

Cheers