Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new build screen freeze

• Please log in to reply

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
sorry - am lazy, hope you can read it and that it has all the info viewable. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• pg1.jpg
  • pg2.jpg

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

Has your system had any hangs since removing the stick of RAM?

Go to the startup list using msconfig > startup tab and uncheck the following:
  • UpdReg
  • qttask
  • SOUNDMAN
  • CTDetect
  • Adobe Gamma Loader
  • Adobe Reader Spe
  • WCESCOMM
Do you know if the "blank one" has to run on start up? If not, uncheck it. How about Konfabulator...do you use it enough for it to run on startup? If not, uncheck it, too.

Click "Apply" then "Ok". Restart your machine. Upon restart you will see a "Selective Startup" window...this is normal. Put a check in the box in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

I'll need you to do the screenshots again, only this time scroll the screen all the way to the right so I can see the complete registry keys...there are a couple entries we need to verify before we do anything wih them,

This should improve your startup time a bit.

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
here we are --

i did disable the blank one - didnt seem to have any adverse effects

these images should be a little easier to read.

Thanks for your time!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1.jpg
  • P2.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

Is your machine starting up faster now. How about the hangs...have you had any since removing the RAM?

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
starup has improved and no hangs since i removed RAM. In fact everythings seems to be running well. Im still getting some errors that i dont understand in event viewer - but as they dont seem to be affecting the running of my system, i think its probably best to ignore them -- are they just the result of the system showing what it has already delt with?

anyway - all of my initial concerns have been resolved.

I must say thank-you very much. The support you have provided was unprecedented and vital. What a service. Its people like you that make this world turn.

Thanks! all the way from england.

Deudonne

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very welcome, deudonne :tazz:

Errors are not uncommon in Windows and could be just about anything...the red notifiers in the System catagory are another thing...if you continue to see those, please post back.

If you have any problems or questions, you know where to find me!

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 23 November 2005 - 04:33 PM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
help - emergency!

i received the new two sticks of 512 RAM today. I carefully removed the old one and put the two new ones in as the motherboard manual suggests.

started up and didnt get past ati booting to system tray (the last one in the tray) before system hang.

restart button

same thing

took out usb mouse and plugged in PS/2 one (as i had removed it for putting RAM in)

restart

got much further - everything loaded up - zone alarm asked for permission to everything again CLI. etc. Then went to start up internet explorer -- 'need to close', then system hang/freeze, a line of coloured dots on screen followed by an automatic restart.

Tried again - same thing.

I'm now in safe mode with networking.

It did this beofre with another 512 stick i had - i removed the stick and it worked again. So i assumed the RAM was bad. This time i went for kingston RAM (thought brand name would be better) -- but same prob - maybe this isnt problem with RAM (i really hope not!).

i have no floppy drive for RAM testing boot progs.

Any suggestions.. eek! my worst fears! bought the RAM off internet - not easy to return.

please help, again. sorry.

Deudonne

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i just removed the second of the two new sticks and restarted - so far seems so good. Hmm.

gonna look at some things...

brb

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

Where did you get your motherboard? Sounds like you may have a bad RAM Slot on the MoBo. If it runs with one stick in slot 1 and hangs when both slots are occupied, this would be my first thought. Not as common a problem as bad RAM, but more common than one might think. Are you putting the RAM in slots 1 and 2? Try 1 and 3...

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
everest report for one of the new sticks:
should i put the other one in by itself and see what happens? (sorry about the multiple posts at the moment)

Memory Devices / DIMM0 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor DIMM
Type Detail Synchronous
Size 512 MB
Speed 400 MHz
Total Width 72-bit
Data Width 64-bit
Device Locator DIMM0
Bank Locator BANK0
Manufacturer Manufacturer0
Serial Number SerNum0
Asset Tag AssetTagNum0
Part Number PartNum0

Advertisements

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
try one and three - good idea. Motherborad was from acheap and notoriously bad warehouse

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hmm - stared up, and loaded all items in the system tray really quickly, but then as soon as lat one (ati) was done system hang and automatic reboot.

now in safe mode again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
deudonne...

I am very suspicious of your motherboard...

Try it with just one stick in the first slot...do the system hangs cease?

wannabe1

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
right - im back on - with one slot and with the other piece of new RAM - so they do both work.

But get this, and you'll luagh when you hear what ive been through in the last month ::

this is my second motherboard in the last month

i had a sephron with 2400 processor. 756 ram. never got it working, never reliably booted up - screen freezes all the time - randomly.

so, by a rather amteur process of elimination i figured it was the mobo/pro and bought a new 64bit AMD.

It didnt work either. So i kicked myself coz i had two good mobos/pros.
took out second ram (original 512 ddr33 from first mobo) and thats what ive been running on until today.

one thing is - i, stupidly, never tried the first mobo/pro with one stick. I didnt know as much then as i do now.

so this new mobo could have slots 2 and 3 corrupt.
and my other brand new mobo could have a similar prob.
but - could this be an ati conflict or anything else?
i have had the worst luck, my brother built one at the same time with me and has had no problems.

thanks again for your time,
D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Your luck runs about the same way mine does... :tazz: ...if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!

Sure sounds like a bad MoBo...

As a hint, my favorite build to date was using the Asus A8N5X with Corsair RAM...unbelievable performance when combined with a Raptor (10,000 RPM) SATA HDD.

wannabe1