Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new build screen freeze

• Please log in to reply

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yeah! all new to me!

Edited by deudonne, 28 November 2005 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
how can i tell if my power supply is underpowered?

Edited by deudonne, 28 November 2005 - 01:05 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok just come over from the other thread and reviewed this one, could you please list your full system specs to eliminate the need to sift thru both.

I am especially interested in the psu so a link to it or brand and model number along with watts.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I just would like to say that wannabe1 has done a terrific job with helping you and I ain't sure I can be of much help because he sure coverd alot but I like the challenge

The Everest report you attached, I get a page cannot be displayed error when I try and open it, could you post another? I need this to have a look at the voltages the psu is producing

Do you have test results from memtest with it running at defaults, note the bottom line were it says pass, let memtest run till this says 3 then next to it it will say errors, are there any?

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
wannabe1 has been diamond.

here is a new everest report. only running dimm1 at the moment.

psu details:

winpower atx-400 (400watt)
(epnc12)
115vac +12v 20A max
10A max =5 40A max
60Hz
230vac +3.3v 28A max
5A max -5 0.5A max
5a max -12V 0.8A max
50Hz
+5V/SB 2.0A max
dont know what it all means - hope it helps. It is a stock case psu.

I will run memtest at default. Should i run it with both sticks in?

Also, i bought my processor heatsink at a different shop - just a cheap one from pc world. Cool 'n quiet i see now in manual says it will only work with the AMD heatsink and fan assembly with monitor chip. I dont know if this is a generic feature or if this is specific to a certain brand(?). The heatsink and fan i have were specific to 64bit processor, but unsure if it has monitor chip... could this cause problems?

Belkin wireless icon disappeared from sytem tray at some point as well and i cant get it back through utility (dunno if this is relevant at all, but i thought i better give all info)

still getting DCOM error in system section of event viewer, and WMIadapter error in application section.

Cheers for support guys!!

Attached Files

Edited by deudonne, 30 November 2005 - 10:41 AM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Im not sure if this would apply, but here are a few FAQs off the asus support site referring to my MoBo with regard to RAM
(i dont know what speed my ddr400 sticks show up as when they are both in because screen always freezes if i try to click properties on my computer, or before)

FAQ Question
How come my K8N series shows DDR333 when I use 2 pieces of DDR400 double-side memory module?
It works fine if I use single-side memory module or 1x DDR400 double-side memory module.

Answer

This is due to AMD Athlon64 CPU specification limitation.
Please refer to Table 41 of BIOS and Kernel Developer's Guide for AMD Athlon™ 64 and AMD Opteron™ Processors on page 173-174.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Another FAQ
"
If I insert one 512MB double side or two 256MB single side DIMM memory on ASUS K8N motherboard, it will tell me OS installation failed. Why?

Answer

Please update ASUS K8N BIOS to 1005.010 or later to solve this problem. Yon can download this BIOS from: http://www.asus.com....8N/1005-010.zip
"

This does not refer exactly to my problem - but could the solution offerred perhaps help?
(sorry abouth the multiple posts)

Edited by deudonne, 30 November 2005 - 10:57 AM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I just ran memtest in default with both sticks (Kingston ddr400) in slots 1 and 2 - - it froze in test 5 at 96% again. Left it for about half an hour.

Each individual RAm seems to run my computer fine. And i just realised that that new everest post i just left was one stick in dimm2 slot in MoBo -- so the slots seem to be working okay (as it was in there for a few days). I will run memtest on the individual sticks again (but it did pass on both before). However - im thinking from these reults so far that this looks like another issue -- maybe BIOS needs updating ?? (not sure how to do this yet - also i wouldnt attempt it without a go-ahead from you guys)

Hmm..

will post more memtest results as i get them.

Thank-you,
Deudonne

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
just ran memtest on 1 stick in dimm1 - 3 passes, 0 errors.

all seems fine.

i have just started back up again though and ati catalyst control centre did not load up > Graphics are fine tho, but no control centre system tray icon and cant access it through display/settings/advanced either. This has happened before, but i didnt remedy it, it just started up on next reboot.

Anyways, that may be a different matter.

Will run memtest on stick 2 in dimm1 now.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
3 passes, 0 errors for stick 2 in dimm1

the two together show no fails, but memtest freezes at test 5 (out of 10)

could this be a bios setting?
the two sticked are not matched. They are new kingston 'value RAM' sticks.

Could still be a psu problem?

(ati catalyst control untility loaded up fine this time)

Edited by deudonne, 30 November 2005 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am looking into the psu will post back shortly

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Still can't get the Everest report, so open Everest and then click computer and then sensor and post that page but not as a attachment

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
can i just copy and paste it into post - or will that be too long?

Edited by deudonne, 30 November 2005 - 04:46 PM.

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hope this works

Attached Thumbnails

• Everest_system.jpg

deudonne

deudonne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i have another case fan - disconnected at the moment to 'conserve power'

that everst snapshot is taken with one stick in dimm1.