Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Opinions Plz

• Please log in to reply

jorben31

jorben31

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello I'm a first time comp. builder and i would like some opinions on this config. i have. This computer is meant for gaming, games like BF2 and next gen. games, i don't have a huge budget, so this is the best i can do. I will be purchasing all of these products from newegg.com I'm just wondering if anyone has had experiences w/ any of these items or opinions on this combo. I am also planning on purchasing another 6800gt when i get more money.

1. (CASE) XION XION II XON-103 Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Power Supply - Retail [1 80mm fan; 2 120mm fans]

2. (MoBo) DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

3. (Hard Drive) Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

4. (RAM) Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 433 (PC 3500) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

5. (Processor) AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail

6. (Video Card) eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Total Cost= $1,059.48

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Looks like a nice solid system. You might want to upgrade to 2gb of memory. Battlefield 2 likes to eat up memory so anything above 1gb of ram will help alot.

Edited by jrm20, 20 November 2005 - 12:09 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah the extra gig of memory i would go with a 6800GS rather than a GT, the GS is slightly faster and cheaper and is probably the only card i would reccomend for putting into SLI as it has been optimised for it to a high degree and gives good performance.

Raptors arent as good as they seem there are a couple of good 7200rpm drives that give the same performance in games but also have the size, raptors are nice but more a gimmick than anything else not worth the lack of space or the money.

Always buy the PSU seperately(only exemptions to the rule are Antec and Thermaltake as they are both makers of quality PSUs as well as quality cases) generic PSUs are cheap and perform badly generally its not worth the money you save to chance frying a system.

jorben31

jorben31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Could you make some recommendations on hard drives because i did look at some of the larger drives, they were good, but most of the reviews were about storage computers not gaming computers. I see you have a 200gb driver, does your hard drive work well for games? Also, I chose a Geforce 6800GS, but it is new and has no reviews on it, so could you take look at it and make a suggestion. Its called a PNY VCG6800SXPB Geforce 6800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133159. And is a PSU the cooling fan? Do you suggest 4x512mb sticks of RAM, or 2x1g of RAM?

Edited by jorben31, 21 November 2005 - 06:17 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 6800GS from the reviews i have read is a good solid card and an improvment upon the 6800GT it has also been optimised for SLI so if you want to go down that route then you can without to much hassle and get very good performance. PSU power supply unit porvides the power to your system it does have a fan in it so i see why you might have been confused, 2 1 gig stick are best. And for HDs you can get the uber fast very tiny 15k drives but for games i would actually reccomend something along the lines of the newest samsung spinpoint drives or i am partial to maxtor diamondmax 10s( reliable sound performance cheapest around) you want the size because few people only play games and music and video collections can get quite big these days so at least 200gig is reccomended and it is nice to have your games actually installed when you want to play them.

jorben31

jorben31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanx for the advice, but i have another question. Do i need to buy a SLI supported PSU? Cause all the SLI supported PSU's are kind of expensive. I have also chosen a case called a "COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail" it has 1 80mm fan, and 1 120mm fan, do you think that those 2 fans will provide sifficient cooling

Edited by jorben31, 22 November 2005 - 02:53 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They should be enough yes but look into the centurian 530s cheaper and newer model from that case range with two 120s and concealed drive bays. Yeah you usually do have to get an SLI supported PSU for an SLI system.